Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 6 or more Years

• Other (please mention)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Since the beginning of the club

• Total voters
I joined BRS and attended my first meeting in June of 2002...that makes three years for me next month!

Heh, like Chuck, I remember frag swapping at Kelly's... and getting the boot. Xenia was a huge hit then. I actually remember having to PAY for it. :eek:I'm not sure if Boston Reefers existed then or not (fall 2001), but I too only became an "official" cardholder recently.

Since the beginning. I don't want to vote because I don't know how many years that was. I was even in the club before the BRS that was associated with Inland Reef. That club imploded due to lack of effort by the initial organizers. Can't even remember what it was called. Moe set the BRS on quite a different course....

MarkO said:
Heh, like Chuck, I remember frag swapping at Kelly's... and getting the boot. Xenia was a huge hit then. I actually remember having to PAY for it. :eek:I'm not sure if Boston Reefers existed then or not (fall 2001), but I too only became an "official" cardholder recently.
There was no official name back then, but yeah, that was the same group.
That was the second Kelly's meeting. The first one we had less people and we didn't get thrown out. I remember Paula had her mom there. Mike Accardi and I went over Spyro's house after the meeting because he said he had a big tank.

There was no official name back then, but yeah,

Oh, but I think we had a good idea ;)

1st rev of the web site that I did back in Sept 2001. Crazy where the time has gone....

Attachments

• site-v.1.0.jpg
    site-v.1.0.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 188
Mike Accardi and I went over Spyro's house after the meeting because he said he had a big tank.

"Is that a school of tangs Joe?"

Moe-Julian-Joe.jpg

Moe and I promoting the club to Julian Sprung in March of 2002.

I also may have screwed up the voting
I lurked for a while then Dave /Gumhead got me to visit one of the meetings and it has been crazy since I think that was 02 but not sure started on RAG in 99 and I know it was a few years after that that I got involved in RC and then BRS

Dec '04 signed up ont ehboard and started our tank. Feb '04 went to our first meeting

This club has helped immeasurably in starting up in this hobby

I remember being soooo happy to find other people who were as crazy as I was. The first Kelly's meeting (Spring of 2001?) there were about 10 of us - and the only way I could go was to bring my 80 year old mother. She got a kick out of meeting everyone.
Before that I was struggling with my 72 bow, pc lights, bio-balls, canister filter. Boy, I am glad I found the rest of you! We've been through a lot together.

I put up a post on RDO asking of there was a Boston club, after seeing lots of clubs in FL and TX.
A few people responded that they didn't know of a club, but maybe we should create one. A few of us exchanged emails. I started adding these folks to a group address.
5 of us got together at the Rainforest Cafe in Burlington to organize things. I only see one of those 5 on the boards these days: Gagnu.
A guy named Brian took the lead, initially, but soon had to move. He lives in CT now.
From that point, I just kept posting about Boston area frag swaps and picked a location. It was mostly done via email and a few posts on RDO and RC. Greg jumped aboard and volunteered to do the first propagation workshop right away. He was good with advice. The pics from that first workshop used to be on the BRS site, but the links don't work anymore. ScavDog, Jake, Chris Nye, JimN, and a few others were at that first workshop.
After a few debacles (getting thrown out of Kelly's the second time we met there), a group of us decided to get serious with the organization. We planned a meeting at the NEAQ after I started talking to Brian Nelson, and Charlotte got the forum going for the BRS over on RC.

I was lurking around online while the club was being formed thinking, "who are these guys?" lol I thought there weren't many (or any) others doing reef tanks around here way back when but I guess there was. I think the first meeting I attended was in Seekonk. Trading frags in the parking lot. When was that meeting again??

Joe

Hehe... yeah Moe that turned a few heads. Didn't you also get a luke warm response to your meeting place inquiry when you said it was for a "reefer's" club meeting somewhere? Until you explained it all, then suddenly it was 'ok' lol. I forget the venue.

I stil get odd looks from some when I say the name of the club to non-aquarium people.

Back