Fresh Build: The Clean White Stage

Macros:

VMCQoCZ.jpg

Rasta

zBoKyS5.jpg

Tort is regaining its color...very slowly...

QQW3y84.jpg

Trumpet

LmopZYx.jpg

Clove - may need to move to lower light

UfEwEQQ.jpg

Octospawn

rDOTg0A.jpg

fire & ice

Thanks!

uWB4fXC.jpg

In sad news, I'm having trouble with the tang. It has ich and has been losing weight...typically not a good sign. The ich has been apparent for 72 hours. I've upped the tank temperature today in hopes of speeding it up. I've been feeding vitamin soaked frozen food + nori but his appetite has shrunk... Hoping for the big turn-around, but prepared for the worst.

This is a TOTM material!
Sorry to hear about the tang.

Great looking tank! Hope the tang pulls through

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks, me too. The ich has cleared up, but he's super skinny. Now he just needs to EAT.

Made my way to lovely pets yesterday and picked up this nice Acan for $20. Not bad! Feeding for the first time on Fauna Marin Ultra LPS pellets.

1DRvJJu.jpg

The 250 can be programmed to use different flow patterns throughout the day. This mid day setting (100% forward 4s, 100% backward 2s) does a great job at keeping detritus suspended. In this demo one side of the gyre is pointed across the top of the tank while the other arm points down along the rear glass.

I run this mode for 5 hours mid day before switching to a calmer evening setting (reverse 70% 5m, forward 100% 10s) and eventually a very calm night setting (forward 20% 10m, reverse 50% 5m).

Here's a quick demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQe8a_ZvgZM

So, I have to admit something... I've bought into the Vibrant Liquid Aquarium cleaner hype train on R2R. Ordered a bottle 1 week ago and have noticed some promising results.

First - let's admit it... we all have algae. Sometimes we can live with it, sometimes we decide it's eviction time. I've always struggled with your run of the mill hair algae. I've had other types come and go, but this hair algae has been in my system for 4 years (carried from tank to tank). Its lived through H202, crabs, snails, ULN environments (vodka, sugar, vinegar), GFO etc.

I want it gone, or at least - I want to feel like I'm in control. That I hold its life in my grasp.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

Vibrant promises to eliminate all nuisance algae... like... all of it... Even algae like stuff (dino / cyano). They say that it includes a special blend of bacteria that both eliminate nitrates and consume algae itself. This second bit is the part I'm interested in. We have tons of bacteria in our tanks. Dosing carbon increases bacteria counts, but of which types? Introducing specific bacteria to the aquarium regularly can help shift the population in favor of the most desirable strains. I've tried this before using prodibio bio digest, and it worked towards rapidly reducing nitrates - but did not consume the algae itself.

I dosed the recommended amount ~1 week ago and after 3 days I noticed a reduction of algae in my sump (low flow area). The algae had grown a clear bacterial film on it, turned white, and then melted... Amazing... I didn't notice any impact on inverts (shrimp, crabs, snails) or fish.

Now, in high flow areas I haven't seen the same miraculous changes. Possibly because the colonizing bacteria is blown off the algae before it can work its magic. However, I have seen almost all algae in the tank browning slightly, and have noticed that my filter sock is pretty full of the stuff.

I've been converted from skeptic to believer and wanted to share.

Last edited:
Small update:

KsynDO3.jpg

Leptoseris - grew this from a little pinky nails worth. Slow grower for me.

0LJEcr5.jpg

Orange Chalice (unsure of specific ID) (new)

VJ9XyyY.jpg

Superman Rhodactis (Split from 1 to 3 over 2 years).

apyKplz.jpg

Red hornets

DYzoPxr.jpg

New acro frag - no ID

GU5rKz7.jpg

Another new acro - no ID

d0p43vH.jpg

97p9lqB.jpg

Purple Hornet

8ddAwwc.jpg

Cyphastrea

OVzJd01.jpg

A new favorite - Rock flower anemone

Coral growth lapse:

Jan 24, 2016:
EEQC69E.jpg

Dec 05, 2016:
JpH7krV.jpg

You can see the original frag shape in the center - 10 months later.

Back