frozen food feeder based on a picture from Paul B

cilyjr

Chris
so the idea is this a container to toss a piece of frozen food into and a pump turns it until it defrosts then is allowed out through small holes in the cup.

I know what you're thinking wow he doesn't rinse off his frozen food....nope. Its food I make. besides if you are looking to control nitrates by rinsing your frozen food you'll probably not win that fight. anyway heres the prototype! its a plastic squeeze bottle with a bunch of holes drilled in it and shoved on the nozzle of a maxi jet. I've been using this for several months now and am happy with it but.....It is an eyesore.

20161107_172013_zpsn4crilzk.jpg

20161107_173253_zpscecxn3ep.jpg

some of you have seen my tank and know i have a "rockwall" made of foam and 2 part resin covering my overflow. I've decided to make it part of the wall.
here's the wall

20161107_172135_zpsvsy1rqkl.jpg

here's where it will go. I will need to cut some of the existing foamwall to make a snug fit.

20161107_184249_zpsug5pwmgq.jpg

here's the new one being built.
20161107_172231_zpsntq5vi0a.jpg

anyway. just thought i wouuld share.

I drilled the holes and am a little concerned the holes are to long and narrow going through the foam. I'm afraid food could cet stuck in the canals. I might try something completely different.

I think you need less but larger holes. The frozen food will be stuck in there forever. I have about 5 -1/4" holes which seems perfect.

Why are you going through all this trouble when you can tos the frozen food in a plastic container (I have small plastic glasses that I bought in wallmark), thaw it there and then feed the tank.

I thaw 3 frozen cubes in the small plastic glass using tank water. Then I tos it in the tank without stopping any pump. Every one is able to catch something in that way (fish and invertebrates)

Just curiosity !!!..... At the end, in your design, you have to manually add the frozen cubes....correct ?

Thank you
Daniel

Last edited:
Well it's because I want to toss it in and forget about it. I'm heavily automated. And I get enjoyment from making stuff :)

I'm working on a frozen auto feeder using a reversible parastaltic pump but that's for the future

Well it's because I want to toss it in and forget about it. I'm heavily automated. And I get enjoyment from making stuff :)

I'm working on a frozen auto feeder using a reversible parastaltic pump but that's for the future

Now that's the kind of answer I like. :cool:
That's why I have water cooled LEDs over my tank. Does anyone need that? Of course not, but how cool is it!

I finished and have had it going a few days now. It's less noticeable then the prototype so I'm happy wit it

20161113_161640_zps16tp42rj.jpg

How has this feeder worked out now that it's been a while?

I usually put frozen food into squeeze bottles with hot water, to melt and dissolve the food so I can squeeze smaller portions into the tank. I'm also pro-automation, but feeding is a nice thing to do manually where the fish see me and swim over and I can feed them over time and make sure they're eating.

Works great .I just toss the cube in and it tumbles while defrosting. When small pieces come off they flow into the tank. Starts slowly then gets faster after about a minute. If you are one who likes to rinse the food though it won't be the solution for you.

Back