going from a small tank to a big tank - dosing

P-Nut

Non-member
Let's assume I am moving everything from a 10 gallon tank to a 100 gallon tank.
Same corals
Same % of water changed every week (1g in a 10g and 10g in a 100g)

Let's say my corals consume 1dkh every day, and dosing 1ml per day is enough to keep it constant.

My guess is that the corals will consume the same amount, but it will be proportionate in a 100g tank, so they will consume 1/10 dkh per day and 1mil will raise alk 1/10 dkh.

In other words, unless the corals grow, the dosing and consumption remain the same.

Am I correct in assuming that?
Or
Am I missing something?

Maybe other factors can come into play here though. The flow will be different and the lighting. The corals might react differently with a different environment. Just guessing.

If you're doing it, I'd make sure to keep testing and see what's going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I wont be upgradino from a 10 to a 100, I probably will go from my 70 gal system to a 120.

Anyways, I was wondering.

I do agree that keeping up with the testing is a good idea.

I went from a 30 gal to a 60 gal and the dosing increase was essential linear based on the tank size. I suspect that was mainly due to the increased coraline. You may not need to increase the dosing rate until the coraline gets established so I would start with your current dose rate, test regularly, and adjust the dosing as necessary until the tank stabilizes. My experience is that once it stabilizes and the livestock is not changing I hardly have to test at all anymore.

Joe

I went from a 30 gal to a 60 gal and the dosing increase was essential linear based on the tank size. I suspect that was mainly due to the increased coraline. You may not need to increase the dosing rate until the coraline gets established so I would start with your current dose rate, test regularly, and adjust the dosing as necessary until the tank stabilizes. My experience is that once it stabilizes and the livestock is not changing I hardly have to test at all anymore.

Joe

These are my thoughts as well.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back