Good place to buy anthias

MammoDoc

Non-member
Are there any good LFS that carry healthy anthias? I've had recent problems with Ignitus, Resplendent and Carberryi from LA, so would like to see the fish in person if possible.

The anthias you have tried are not easy to keep anthias. Anthias, in general, requires frequent feeding as they burn off what they eat pretty quickly.
Look into Lyretail. Barlette, Dispar, and Sunburst Anthias. They are easier to keep.
I have 6 Lyretail in my tank and they are awesome!

+1 on the Lyretails I have three, 1 male (very striking) and two females and they have been rock solid for me since day 1, I got mine from tropic isle but I have seen these and different varieties at Krystal Klear in Auburn as well but have not been to either in a while so not sure if either has any right now, worth a call though.

Have you found the Lyretails to be aggressive with your other fish? I did a ton of research and there are mixed feelings about Lyretails -- some who love them, some who say they are too aggressive and evil, even against nonconspecifics. I have a number of fairy and flasher wrasses, so I worry they will be picked on. The tank is a 420, so there is room for them to disperse, which usually helps.

You have a 420?
Try trio of Lyretail first. You'll find that quite peaceful. Once you got the anthias down, you can add more.
My anthias are never aggressive toward any other fish including flasher wrasse and fairy wrasse. The problem with mine are they're turning male and I think more than two will turn to male. I will add more female to balance it out but will wait til they completely change to male and see what happen.
I can't imagine the stupid amount of fish I would keep in a 420. Hehe. :D

That is the problem with anthias in general, but worse with an aggressive fish like the Lyretail. I was advised to try to get the smallest females possible in the hope that they are all truly female and not changing. It is good to hear that yours leave everyone else alone.

You'd think 420 would be huge, and it's not small (90 x 36 x 30), but after putting in 4 tangs and a bunch or wrasses, I think adding a ton of fish would cause problems and look too crowded. Plus, I don't want any fish that would even possibly eat coral, so the list of eligible fish dwindles ... thus why I'm looking at anthias.

I have not noticed any aggression in my 180 towards other fish, occasional the male flashes or strutting or whatever you want to call it and usually ends up chasing one of the females but that is all I have noticed so far and have had them at least 8 months.

That sounds promising. I think I might have to try them. At least people have them here and I can see how they are doing before buying them. I've been disappointed with the LA fish, although they have been great giving me credit for them. I don't know if it's the shipping or just a bad batch, but frustrating seeing this happen when I've never had fish die like this.

I've had great luck with Divers Den and mixed results with LA but with their credit policy and free reship it's not so bad but still when you are setting up a QT for specific fish and have some live and some not, even though they replace them it really extends out the QT process. I am waiting on a reship of three blue star leopard wrasses for tomorrow and the other fish in QT have been in for 4 weeks already.
Plus like you said never good watching them die either, thinking about what they have gone through, ripped from the ocean and all the handlings and shipping to finally land at your door and you do everything you can to make the transition perfect but it is just too much stress and lack of eating and they die really sux.

I got them from regular LA, not DD, which means they came from Quality Marine. Which is supposed to be a very good wholesaler. DD only tends to sell their anthias as trios, and I wanted a larger number, so that's why I went the regular LA route. I've purchased other fish from them with no problems at all, so I thought that maybe I would lose 1 or 2 in a batch of 7-8, but not most of them. Especially getting input on Reef Central. I was going to QT them regardless of where they came from since they are prone to worms/flukes and need Prazi. I have a 40b for QT, but I think sometimes QT just stresses them out :( I went with Ignitus, Carberryi and Resplendent because they are a little more passive than Lyretail. But I don't think anyone around here carries them, or I would have liked to see them for myself before buying. And I figured a special order would essentially be like ordering from LA. And the 14 day guarantee is better than any LFS can do.

Last edited:
Back