Green Fuzzy Algae????

I need someone to come over and take a look and bring there kits... My kits say im ok an my water levels are good but i dont think so as this is happening lol... I know its hair algae an its taken over my tank........ I was going to call it an be done with the tank but i turned here hoping i can get help....

do you have a cleaner crew? i had a pretty bad hair algae problem myself..my rocks were covered as well as my glass and my water looked green as well..i got myself a good cleaner crew. hermit crabs, margarita, nassarius and turbo snails...they devoured the algae in only 2 weeks.

if you have a lot of it you will probably read very low phosphates. the algae is removing the phosphates and using it for their growth just as fast as it is being produces. you might want to invest in some gfo and a sea hare.

I am not an expert but I've battled hair algae twice, and it's always been because of the water. I was buying RO/DI from my LFS, and each time I did a water change the algae got worse. I had strands that were 2 to 3 inches long. When I had the store's water tested at another LFS, it turned out to be worse quality than tap water! I think the guy was pushing his filters way past the limit. Now I have my own TDS meter and RO/DI system. If you are buying your water, you might want to try another store. If you are making your own, have someone test it for you. I also found a phosphate pad helps a lot since that is the cause of the algae. Phosphates are hard to test for. You need a really good test kit. It's important that you find the source of your problem. It could be the food you are using, overfeeding or poor water quality at the source. Bad bulbs can also cause algae. Also, I could not find anything that effectively ate hair algae, and I tried snails, crabs, fish, nudi brachs and urchins. They ate every other type of algae but not the hair algae. Don't buy an urchin. They are not really reef safe. I tried two different varieties, and now they are both in my FOWLR tank. One kept rearranging the tank, and the other was eating my zoanthids and favias. Good luck. It's ugly and frustrating, but you can get rid of it.

I only feed the 4 fish every 3 days. i feed the tank 2 drops of liquid food once a week. I keep the light on for 5 hours the most cause the algae.... everything and everyone is doing on but the algae is driving me crazy, i took out a rock to try to take sum off, lol thats not going to work its on there good.. I need more turbo's as i had many many an they got really big an now i just see there shell on the bottom of the tank. I tried haires but they passed on....... have not put nothing new in my tank for a while now,...

green algae

I was like you, my rock was covered with it.... can't seem to stop it or slow it down.... try Benny, Tangs, E-crabs and nothing until I added them..... I added 16 of them and in three days I see real rock... they eat brown, black, and yes green algae... now my rock is looking great and can show off my tank pics to others..... ( cut down on your feeling and/or reduce your fish numbers you tank is over loaded with waste from the fish) (p.s. I used tap water so if I can stop hair algae you can to... good luck.... need more help let me know.

Last edited:
Get youself some tangs! like a yellow or blue hippo tang, they will do very good job cleaning up your algae.

Get yourself some tangs! like a yellow or blue tang, they will clean up your green algae real good.

What kind of liquid food do you feed? Is anything dependent upon it? Could you stop for a week or 2 as an experiment?

My super advanced scientific process for testing foods is to get in there and yank out a whole bunch of hair algae and then see how quickly it grows back. There are some foods where I swear the tiniest amount causes the hair algae to go nuts. And then when I do the same thing without using that food, it takes way longer to grow the same amount. And since this is a super scientific process, I am able to guarantee 100% that there could not be any other contributing factors and that it is definitely the food that is responsible. Seriously though, please take my observations with a grain of salt.

Back