growth under home depot light

afrankiewicz12

Non-member
its really weird, until i get my frag tank setup my corals are currenty in my sump under a 60w soft white bulb in a home depot fixture and theyre goring great my SPS frags are starting to branch and he zoas are growing good too, any ideas?

I have been thinking about this for years. Have we over done our ligthing? Lighting technologies are marketing driven, from VHO to PC to t-5 with MH as main stay. Now we are going to LED.
If you look at the ocean, it is pretty dark compare to what is in our tanks.
Another observation is that most of corals are brown in the ocean because they have high density of zooxanthellae algae to capture dim light. A lot of coral developed pretty color under MH by getting rid of a lot of zooxanthellae algae.

Is it a compact fluro? Like a coil bulb? People have been using those to grow stuff for years. I don't see a reason we couldn't use them if we don't mind the crappy color selection.

It is interesting that there are many LED, MH, t-5 PAR measurement, but I can not find PC, VHO or regular compact fluro PAR measurement. May be they are not that far off in PAR with similar wattage.

Another issue I've though about is what's apparent to anyone who scuba dives---that mostly only blue and green penetrate depths--reds and oranges don't as well. If you take a photo without a flash at any depth, the photo will be blue/green.

This wont last,especially with the sps.
Is the tank getting natural light?All I need is my halides to get over 10-11 months and the acros slow down significantly and they begin to brown.

I am using the regular fluorescent light on my frag tank for months now and they (sps) all doing great. All I grow are just sps
I do have led too but too lazy to set them up

thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers-2.jpg

Too bad he hasn't come threw with some pics.. I've been wondering if this hobby was manufacturer fed into unnecessary extreme measures.

Too bad he hasn't come threw with some pics.. I've been wondering if this hobby was manufacturer fed into unnecessary extreme measures.

i would say some of it is, but not all of it. For example: a powerful skimmer is a must!

Ummmm *Kicks a peice of live rock * I NEVER use Skimmers (Hides her BFS Members Card lol ) Sold 100's of them but have never used one sorry troops *shurg * :cool:

Back