H. magnifica anemone undergoing division

I think it's finally done (well, by tomorrow anyhow). Just took this photo from the opposite side of the tank. I realize fuzzy since I had to blow it up so much, but you can see the final threads connecting the two. Very cool. Not something that happens every day in your tank. I did not intervene in any way for this division. Magnifica split at end - red box - small.jpg

Heh, posted 3 weeks ago:

>I think the division is likely to be complete within a couple more days at most. <

Last weekend I went in to remove the new baby. In the end one of the clones took about 2/3rd of the mass. I found it much easier to get to the larger of the two. It was also the one that was stinging the most corals. I got very lucky in that the rocks (mostly Porites and Acropora skeletons that the anemone had killed were reasonable easy to break apart. All told I got it out in only about 20 minutes, with no real damage to the anemone. First photo is me holding it in the tank just after freeing it. I'm gloved and wrapped my arm in plastic wrap to minimize any stinging damage and any bites from the maroon clowns. Turns out they'd just laid a batch of eggs, first time in several months, so I figured they'd be extra territorial. 2nd photos is the anemone in the bucket. I handed it to it's new owner the next day.

magnifica new anemone freed from base rock - small.jpg

magnifica new anemone - in bucket.jpg

A week in its new home ..... looking really good so far .....

First two shots with flash, last one without. Thanks Greg!

Wow, indeed, looks awesome in its new home. Perfect positioning for a magnifica. Perhaps the anemone is happy to finally have the proper species of clownfish! Those damn carpet bagging maroons!

I gave up on maroons a while back - pair were always trying to bite me and terrorized new fish. Ocellaris can be feisty too, but not like maroons.

One more shot just to show how isolated the perch is for the anemone. It would have to retreat significantly from the light to do any damage. The one I had previously got so big that it was brushing both the front and rear walls of the tank so I stated to worry that it would try to move (or even worse, release).

Still Happy!

Three and a half months chez moi and anemone has already grown quite a lot .... actually thought the other day that it might be preparing to split again, but false alarm apparently.

Back