Hang on back skimmers in sump

elton092982

MVP
BRS Member
Anyone use them ? Have an aqua C remora and was curious if anyone has used one of these hang on backs in there sump and how successful have you been .

I wouldn't suspect any difference running one in the sump instead of your display, as long as it's rated for the total water volume you have.

I've done it, it worked, but water level is going to be everything with a hang on back skimmer. Being as it is intended for hanging on the tank itself, head height will effect it's effectiveness in a sump.
A bigger pump may be necessary.

When you say bigger pump are your referring to the one on the skimmer itself or the return pump ? It has mj 1200 that came with it.

It should work better in a sump than just in the tank as more of the surface water will be sucked into the sump so the skimmer will get a better chance to get that gunk out of the water. That used to be my main issue with a HOB skimmer the crappy job it did on the surface water.

When you say bigger pump are your referring to the one on the skimmer itself or the return pump ? It has mj 1200 that came with it.

The powerhead. I swapped out the 900 for the 1200 myself. I have a aqua remora c sitting dry hanging off my sump, and i gotta say i have no idea how it would work better then using it for what it was designed for, hanging on the back of the tank. Maybe your sump water level is much higher then mine. Do let us know how this works out for you, i was unsuccessful in my attempt.

From my experience the aqua C Remora skimmer pumps water through a small jet nozzle aiming at a triangular crevice in the skimmer body creating micro bubbles thus its effectiveness depends on how strong the pump is and how clean the jet is. You just have to routinely remove the service screw to access the top of the jet and spray high pressure water with your garden hose to clean it out since all the tank water and detritus goes thru this jet nozzle. Its performance can decrease dramatically with lack of jet maintenance. Ideal placement should be at the overflow chamber of the sump since its water level is highest and its water quality is cleanest after filter sock use of course. The higher the water level the shorter the distance between the skimmer pump outlet to the jet nozzle which will yield the strongest water pressure thru the jet. Pump head pressure is not as critical in this design as it would be in the case of a centrifugal skimmer design since the jet is not submerged in water in the skimmer body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. It was more of a question because I have one lying around from an old tank and don't have any other skimmer at the moment and wanted to see what others had or have done with this type of setup . I'm stilling willing to give it a shot and might even consider doing the hang on back method that it's designed for and leaving the sump chamber opened for other Filtration .

Back