HEADLINES~ Disturbed pod kills millions! News at 10...

Muddskipper35

Non-member
Opps.. left the light off on my 20 long the ast 2 days.. Turned it on today only to see EVERYTHING in the tank dead on the bottom and in the cheato..

Not to worry.. Tank has nothing in it but sand cheato and pods. Its a breeding/grow out tank for pods..

Kinda eerie looking into it and seeing thousands (and then some) of dead pods ranging from 1/16" to 1/4" in length dead on the bottom and in the cheato~ like a stephen king movie or something..

HEADLINES~ Disturbed pod goes on rampage and murders 10s of thousands in a single night ...... News at 10.

My guess is mass air starvation as theres only 1 pwrhead in the tank and no other filtration.

I did find one live one though... Prob time to tear this down anways.. havent really been harvesting anything out of it as the DT has been providing penty of pods from the rockwork..

why would leaving the light off kill pods??????, i could see the cheato not looking so hot but the pods?.................and why would leaving the light off starve the tank of air??.......I'm confused?........did the power go out??

^^^Agreed^^^
Something else is happening, you should check your parameters ASAP. Might even be a good idea to check your flow to make sure your pump is still running.

I had the flow to my refugium stop and wipe out my Pods... Looked just like you described... Just plain eerie!

Caused a mini Cyano Bloom in my fuge when I got the flow going back, so try to do a WC and run carbon if this is indeed the problem.

i don't think it would have that affect either..

but FWIW 2 days without light could decrease the o2 levels in the tank.. no light means no photosynthesis, which means no o2 produce and no co2 consumed ;).

Like the others said though, i don't think it would kill everything..?

I raise copepods in a container with no flow, no lights, nothing but water and phyto.
Not ideal conditions but they thrive.

NO.. Not saying the light had much to do with it but the powerhead is well under the surface.. No surface agitation ... No light no photo.. No photo no O2..

Yes I have left the lights off for a number of days in the past with no probs but with no surface agitation theres no gas exchange.. Sufficated! ( If youve seen the number of pods in this tank you would agree~ Adults alone had to be in the 1000s and babies have to be 5Xs that)

No I have never checked the parms in this tank nor do I add fresh salt water.. I use the discarded water from the main tank to change the water in this tank.. ( yes this is a completely seperate system..

Seriously.. wasnt looking for solutions or Id test for them.. Biggest loss was the established pod population~ bummer as I use these to supplement the population in the tank from time to time~ Shake a few hundred in the DT and watch the mandrins and gobies go nuts..

Been thinking about tearing this down and starting a tiger pod population anyway..

:D

Last edited:
WOW.. Found the culprit.. Malfunctioning heater.. Although it was one of the first things I checked and temps read fine I happened by it tonight and the heater was GLOWING red.. Checked the water temp and 95 degrees!

POD BOIL anyone?? Hear there pretty good as appetizers!

For those that are curious it was a marineland 100 watt heater. Yes I run a controller on the DT.

Back