Hello Everyone, New Reefer doing Research on Corals

MarisaPermatteo

Non-member
Hello everyone,

I am new to the BRS but I would like to come out and say hello. I recently got into reefing, as I need to grow corals for a scientific research project I am doing out of St. Mark's School in Southborough, Massachusetts. I will be attending the Newbie class this October, but I would greatly appreciate help from anyone here who can give advice on what kinds of things I need to buy to build a tank, and an approximate cost for building a small tank. Thank you very much in advance for your help! I am very excited to participate in this cool hobby and in my research.

- Marisa Permatteo

Personally I wouldn't do anything smaller than a 40 breeder tank definitely get one drilled there are some on here for sale at reasonable prices . You'll need a skimmer , sump which can be a 20 long for that size power heads for in tank flow , lights ..... now there is the biggie . T5's or halides In my opinion . leds are ok but finding the right one is tricky What types of corals ? SPS , LPS or softies ? You have a ton of research to do ahead . SPS= small polyp stony corals , LPS= Large polyp , softies have no real skeleton . each type is found in different areas of the water so they each require different stuff . where are you located ?

petco is having 1 dollar a gallon sale right not u could get a 40 breeder for 40 bucks

Welcome Aboard Marisa! I see you found the introduction section.

See you at the meeting.

Good Luck with your venture!

Back