Help! Clown Trigger Acclimating Question

jwaka11

Non-member
My recently purchased clown trigger had just finished its QT period with no issues (3 weeks in QT). He was eating well, no sign of sickness, swimming about, etc.

So a week ago, I put him in my sump to have him adjust to my water system... and things went well there too (eating, swimming up to 'greet' me, etc).

Since all seems well, I decided to move him to my display tonight. I turned off the lights, made sure my existing fishes had a full belly (and also the trigger), then I transfer it to the display.

Now the bad news... once inside my display the Trigger ducks its head inside a cave and has been in that position for the past 3 hours now :(. I can see that its not breathing hard nor slow... just normal breathing. Occasionally it would slightly backs out of the cave but revert back to its original spot--never did its head fully come out of the cave. Its color is also turning pale.

Possibility of being bullied? The trigger is 6" and is the only Trigger in the tank. Its tankmates are Vlamingi 8", Sohal 7", Blue hippo 4", powder blue 4", and a few other smaller fishes. I'm pretty sure it can hold its weight against those tangs.

Should I pull it out or wait it out? Has anyone experienced this? Thoughts? BTW, the tank is a 220g FOWLR w/ 120g basement sump.

Let him be... Give him some time to get used to the new surroundings. Bugging him will just stress him out

Pretty normal behavior for a trigger. They'll shoot into any place they lock into tightly, when they feel threatened. Just adding to a much larger, new surrounding would be a little unnerving. He'll come out when he's ready.
Most of the triggers are pretty bullet proof.
I used to have a clown and a humma in a 180 agressive tank. Awesome fish.

Thanks guys. Looks like I overreacted. The fish is currently out and about when I woke up this morning. :D

Attachments

• photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 121
Back