Help with Mimic Tang

Renato

Reef Addicted
Hi! I bought a Mimic Tang yesterday. The moment I put Him in the tank He started to fight with His reflection. Its non stop... Lights went on now, and He is crazy on the glass going up and down. Already put sea weed for him, and He doesn't even care. he is not picking the rocks all He cares is to stay on the glass. He is about 2.5 inches big. Any tricks for Him to
Stop? I have been waiting for this fish for a long time.

The good news is he is not going to hurt himself on the glass. I would try not to stress about it (I know, easier said ) unless it keeps up after another day or so. I just added naso tang on Wednesday and I had to watch him go through his paces with my purple and kole tang. Here we are Saturday and I'm watching the tank and all 3 are swimming around fine.

My only thought to a fix would be to tape up some paper to see if that kills the mirror effect.

Post a pic when you can, would love to see him.

...stupid auto correct

The good news is he is not going to hurt himself on the glass. I would try not to stress about it (I know, easier said ) unless it keeps up after another day or so. I just added naso tang on Wednesday and I had to watch him go through his paces with my purple and kole tang. Here we are Saturday and I'm watching the tank and all 3 are swimming around fine.

My only thought to a fix would be to tape up some paper to see if that kills the mirror effect.

Post a pic when you can, would love to see him.

...stupid auto correct

I bought a piece of plywood, and painted yellow. Its much better now BUT... Now he is chasing my Leopard wrasse... Making all the fishes stressed out.. Unbelivable... I am gonna take him to lfs. To bad he is beautiful

Oh, don't give up on him yet. I would let him keep battling himself. That is actually a tactic many people use when adding aggressive fish. They put mirrors up so the fish focuses on himself vs the other fish. The tang is just asserting dominance. Things usually calm down. This is par for the course when adding fish.

That said, if it continues after more than 2 days then you may have an issue. Initially though, there is always some chasing, tail flashing etc.

when I added my tommini my yellow tang kept trying to stab him with his barb . now they just hang out together . give it time . I am going to be moving 13 fish from my 90 in to a pair of 210 gallon tanks today , now thats stress ( for me ) lol just try not to worry

Back