Heres a oldie question

Which flow is better

• Constant flow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
Ok I have been looking at alot of larger tanks and even frags system that are sps dominate. I have been thinking which is better ever changing flow or constant flow from multiple locations? I currently use 2 mp10 at 100% on reef crest and my sps seem to like it but at the same time i feel like it's not enough. Let me know you guys thoughts on this.

I had 2 mp 40s on my 90 gallon and switched to 2 maspect gyre and the flow pattern is amazing. The mps are great but they don't really send out a wide spread like a gyre can.

I chose everchanging, that being said I don’t think you should rearrange pumps, nozzles etc. but should keep their placement stagnant and rely on the pumps own variable discharge(IE RFG nozzles or similar for returns and for power heads a setting like reef crest mode > constant)

I runa na MP40 on th back senter and (2) gyres on each end one on pulse and one on and off every 10 seconds MP 40 is in pulse also

I runa na MP40 on th back senter and (2) gyres on each end one on pulse and one on and off every 10 seconds MP 40 is in pulse also

I wanted to try the pulse mode but I'm worried as I have a cube and that's alot of pressure I heard for the seems to take

Run the pulse mode, just turn the down a little. I have an mp10 on reef crest on an 18x18 cube running about 85%. Seems fine to me.

Run the pulse mode, just turn the down a little. I have an mp10 on reef crest on an 18x18 cube running about 85%. Seems fine to me.

My tank is 24x24x24or 30. With the 2 mp10 running at 100% reef crest it doesn't seem to be enough lol. I think I'm going to try the pulse mode for a little bit and see how all the sps react

I have two RPMs on reefcrest in my 50g. This, along with the constant flow of from the sump return, keeps it pretty turbulent. I wish it was more turbulent. I used the wave mode for a while, but it seemed to me like the corals like reefcrest better. I wish there was a good way to get strong laminar flow in one direction for few seconds, followed by strong laminar flow in the opposite direction, so it would really look like ocean waves.

Back