Hi all From Framingham

zeeman

Non-member
My name is Joe and I am new to the reef aquarium world. I have a 12 gal. Aquapod nano tank that I bought with live rock and one piece of coral. I will be asking a lot of questions as time goes on. My first is how get rid of hair algae, I do not have a lot, but I heard its not good for the coral. Looking forward to being part of this club. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the BRS.For the hair algae get some turbo snails or a seahair or even an arrow crab.Check your water perimeters mostly phosphates and nitrates as these will feed the algae.HTH

Hey Zeeman,
Welcome to BRS! How long has your tank been running? And what kind of filtration/water movement do you have?

I have a stock Aquapod by current USA. the pump is 160 gph, I have it up all the way. The person I bought the Aquarium from said its was running for a year. The PH is fine and the nitrates are at 0. Do not have a phosphate kit so I don't know that level.

Hi Joe
:w to the club. Would help to have some additional info about your tank.
What do you have for lighting and how old are the bulbs?
Tank parameters ( calcium, alk, ph, mag and phosphate) Most LFS will check your water for little or no money.
That said, if you can take the rock our just scrub it with a toothbrush.

Welcome to the BRS.For the hair algae get some turbo snails or a seahair or even an arrow crab.Check your water perimeters mostly phosphates and nitrates as these will feed the algae.HTH

A sea hare in a 12 gal tank would die in short order and probably pollute the tank in the process. They are toxic.:)

Thanks for all the help . My tank has 1 -27w dual artnic light, 1 -27w dual daylight and 2 led lunar lights, they are all a year or so old (maybe time to change them). I took the water to Tropic isle Aquarium for testing and it all the levels seem to be ok. I plan on doing a 2 gal water change this weekend. When I was at the LFS I did buy some tiny crabs to eat the algae, however the toothbrush method seems like the way to go. Do you think I should go with higher wattage bulbs (like 32w) I would like to keep the present hood, so I can't go any larger then 12 1/2" long. Thanks again for your help.

Back