Hit the Copperband jackpot

Paul K

Non-member
I haven't added any new fish to my reef tank in several years (I mostly never lose any, and I keep a light fish load). Over the past three months though, old age finally claimed two of my long term residents.

I decided I wanted to try a Copperband in the tank, and ordered one online along with some cleanup crew for Thurs delivery. Meantime of course, I stopped at an LFS and found the absolute nicest looking Copperband I'd ever seen. After a few minutes of "what to do, what to do..." at the LFS, that one went home with me. I figured I could always offer the other up on the forum here if needed.

The first one acclimated well, and shocked me by taking frozen mysis greedily on the first attempt (within about two hours of getting settled into the tank)

The online order arrived yesterday, and the copperband from that looked robust and healthy, was a bit larger, although not quite having the "supermodel" looks of the first.

Feeling lucky by this point, I decided to try him in the tank as well, and see what happened, half expecting to be pulling one out when they didn't get on.

To my delight, after about an hour of cautiously checking each other out, they suddenly just started cruising the tank together, picking at the live rock. They spent the whole evening doing that, never straying more than about 6-8" apart.

Even better, when I fed the tank last night, the smaller one attacked the Mysis with characteristic zeal, while the new one watched puzzled for a minute or two, as his counterpart was gobbling them down, and then cautiously tried a tiny one. Apparently he liked it, as he was soon snapping them up with almost as much proficiency as the first one.

I have to say I'm feeling pretty damn lucky today. Two Copperbands in the tank getting along like they were high school sweethearts, and both feeding without problems. I know life in the fishkeeping universe tends to balance out, and I'll no doubt pay for this luck when something else goes awry, but meantime I'm gonna sit back and enjoy it :)

That's great to hear. Congrats! I'm sure you'll make many jealous aquarists. :) How big is your tank by the way? What other fish are in the tank? (I'm curious whether lack of any bullying fish helped)

Thats great. These are my favorite fish and I'm so glad the collection practices are getting a little better so at least some are making it to us in very good shape. Way too many are doomed by the time they reach the store.

I recently tried pairing mine and it didn't work out, but I did notice the same watch and learn behaviour with the new fish. It was very obvious the way the new one focused on the established fish eating and then the food in the water then back to the fish and then tried the food himself. Maybe this behaviour could help teach reluctant butterflys in the future.

I hope the pairing sticks. Keep an eye on them because mine seemed ok at first and the relationship rapidly deteriorated once the larger new one got comfortable in the tank.

recent diving only strengthened my determination to find a mate for mine. I saw hundereds of butterflys and they were never single, always in a pair.

My tank is a 92G corner. There are no bullies, so that may be a factor. The only other residents are a pair of true percs with more BTA homes than they know what to do with (9) and a six line wrasse.

I'm certainly hoping the pairing sticks. They were inseperable last night, not just tolerating each other, as with all thing "reef", time will tell

I'll see about snapping a pic later (no one needs to remind me there are aiptasia in the background though ;) )

Sounds like it is working out well. Try feeding the aptasia some mysis and the cbbs might start going after them.

Thanks for giving me positive story for a boost to try again. I was a little discouraged after the first attemt. Of course there is at least 50/50 chance of getting two of the same sex which could have been my problem. can you see any differences between them that might show a sex difference?

"feeding aiptasias"? ....that just sounds so very wrong ;)

Here are a couple photos from this morning (The CBBs were late risers this morning, hanging out in a dark cave together for the first 90 min after the lights came on, probably because they knew I was waiting to take a photo :) )

CBB_3.jpg

CBB_2.jpg

Last edited:
'course now between the pair of clowns and the pair of copperbands, I feel like my six line wrasse is somehow getting a raw deal :D

Paul the Piscine Matchmaker.

Nice story about your "couples only" resort reef! Beautiful fish..good luck with them. As for the 6-line. Just remember that he may be enjoying the bachelor's life! Look into the tank tonight and you may just see that he has the biggest fishy smile of them all ;)

Dave

I also have a pair in my 110. They get alone well, but no signs of 'the wild thing'.

Paul K said:
"feeding aiptasias"? ....that just sounds so very wrong ;)

Here are a couple photos from this morning (The CBBs were late risers this morning, hanging out in a dark cave together for the first 90 min after the lights came on, probably because they knew I was waiting to take a photo :) )
Thsy make a beautiful pair...good luck with them! :)

Don't worry about those aiptasias - they'll be gone in no time with 2 CBBs around! Beautiful pics and great story. I love my CBB. Keep us updated on the happy couple.

You know...I just had to watch the ultimate chick flick last night...Notebook...

I enjoyed your story much more. :)

I'm not sh!++in you about feeding the aptasia. I had one that I was feeding when the tank didn't have much more than them and LR. My daughter loved to watch it eat. The CBB was introduced to the tank and didn't touch them until about a week later Abby asked me to feed the anemone. I did and it was gone the next morning. Next time she asked I had to feed a new one. It was gone in the morning. This repeated a few more times before I figured it out and eventually the CBB started eating them on his own.

I didn't think you were kidding at all, "feed the aiptasia" just sounded funny as it's the last thing most of us would care to do :)

It apparently won't be needed as the population is already visibly diminishing without training. The smaller CBB seems to have a sweet tooth for them. I had one rock with about a dozen of all sizes this morning. Tonight only the largest two are in evidence :D

Back