House wiring question

Intheflesh

Non-member
I spent Sunday replacing receptacles and switches in the kitchen. This weekend, I'm going to finish the rest of the first floor.

We are in the process of setting up a nano cube for the TV room. Naturally I want to put a GFIC outlet where the tank is. The problem is that there is a half hot outlet there- meaning the bottom is always hot, and the top outlet is controlled by a switch.
1. Can you wire a GFIC in a half hot configuration (i'm guessing not)
2. if not, if I put a GFIC outlet as the first in line for this line of outlets and then the rest of the outlets will be protected?

I'm not sure about the first question , I've never worked with half hot outlets. But yes to the second.

You want all receptacles to be gfci protected around your tank. Peace of mind. We have spills all the time and salt water is an excellent conductor. I would use a gfci breaker in the panel.

to answer the first question, ive never seen a GFCI outlet that can be run split. Is there a reason for the switched portion? If there is no reason, I would cap the wires in the box, then just wire up the GFI. I would not run anything off of the load side of the GFI as you don't likely know what is going to shut off if/when it trips. Honestly, if you have any electrician friends, have them take a look. No need to risk a fire.

my bro-in-law-in law (is that a thing lol?) is an electrician and suggested the GFCI breaker as well. No particular reason for the switch.

Alll of the top outlets on this string are on the switch. There aren't any other outlets near the tank, and I believe that this outlet is 'last in line' on the circuit. So instead of the GFCI breaker, i may just cap the switch wires and install GFCI outlet. This way if the tank trips the circuit, I wont lose power for the whole TV room.

Back