how do i lower my alk

eSoteric

less fish = more corals
As i drip my calcium in now it seems my alk just keeps rising. IS there a simple way to lower it without dropping anything else down. currently my tank is 440ppm cal and 11.5alk. suggestions please.

dkh? mg/ltr?

Water change is a good way...but you will have to buffer the make up water for equal the calcium of the tank. The alk of the new water with instant ocean will probably be lower then what you tank is if its too high... so by doing a water change with it you will bring down your alk and the calcium will remain the same. Probably a good way to do it. Stay away from chemicals and stuff whenever possilbe.

Last edited:
normally wouldn't Ca and alk have an inverse relationship. if it's just cal you're adding not sure why the alk would rise steadily along?
at least that's what i've found when using Tech*CB.

350ML of 37,000PPM diluted into 2 gallons of rodi. It keeps my calcium stable. BUt it is about water change time, So that will help im sure.

It is dow flake, 2 1/2 cups diluted into 1 gallong of rodi. This makes 1 gallong of 37,000PPM calcium buffer. I took 350 ML of that and diluted it into 2 gallons of rodi water and drip it slowly over the coruse of a week to keep my calcium at 440-450.

isnt the cut off 12?

also, casey yoiu said i should buff my new saltwater before a water change. Anyone know how many cups or ML of buffer i should add (dow flake mix 37,000PPM) in a 5 gallon bucket.

Last edited:
You add Dowflake and the alk goes up? That doesn't seem right to me.
Might want to try a different test kit.

Besides, if you let your calcium temporarily drop down to 400, you're still okay.

ya i know. im just all worried as ive added a few SPS's over the last 2 weeks. Im using salifert test kits at home. When i bring water to the store with me and test her i get the same results. The alk has only risen about 1 point on its own. I buffed it up to 10 a week or so ago. i really think the waterchange will help.

Back