how do you keep your sand bed clean?

nickyblase

Non-member
Sand sifting gobies/blennies/starfish, clean up crew....

what do you have, and what have your experiences been? Don't want to battle a constant sand storm, but if I can have sand that looks nice and clean without me having to move corals and vacuum it all the time, I would LOVE IT!

by taking it out completely. :D
when I used to have a DSB, my conch does most of the work to keep the sand clean. nasarius snails also keep it clean, but they burried deep in the sand though.

I've got a conch, and could probably use some more nassarius snails. Is the Hector's goby difficult to keep alive, or is that the Rainsford?

nickyblase said:
I've got a conch, and could probably use some more nassarius snails. Is the Hector's goby difficult to keep alive, or is that the Rainsford?

the hectors and rainfords can be tough but can do well if you have a large established sand bed and a peaceful tank

Nicky we are talking about the same goby. A sleeper goby is a dragon goby. They just call them different things. I think when I bought mine at AA the sold it to me as a dragon goby....They are actually better looking in person, and mine has blue streaks highlighting his body....He will only eat frozen mysis.

cool - thanks for the clarification! I think I will prob. get one and also a cuke, along with some more Nass. snails.

huh - I thought they were pretty easy to keep, just poor to ship? I was thinking I would have an LFS hold one once it came in for a few weeks to see how it would fare, and then I'd buy it. Bad idea?

merk1_99 said:
Careful of the cukes, they can go nuke...
Depends on the type. I had two in my tank. Both eventually died and disappeared on me and never harmed my tank. Mine were the ones that TBS sells. I've heard many people say the ones they sell won't nuke a tank.

Back