how many tangs are too many?

rnyce

Non-member
hi just looking for some feedback.
i have a 125 long
and im looking to add some mor tangs currently have a blonde naso and hippo. no real problems looking to add two yellow tangs maybe three?
naso is about 5 inches and hippo about 4.
any thoughts

i would personally add 1 or 3 yellow tangs, but seeing as you already have 2 other tangs, i would go with one, which still may get picked on by the other two that have since created their territories in your tank.

adding 2 tangs of the same body shape/color is asking for an issue. the tangs only have eachother to fight, head to head, leaving one of the two to take abuse. having 3 distributes the aggression and they divide out the abuse amongst eachother. hope that makes sense

Id say if you have lots of swimming space two yellows would be just fine. If they all have separate spots to hide/sleep and are well fed you will be more successful.

I'd stop at the two you already have, but I'm always cautious on my fish stocking opinions...

I agree with John, think of when the current tangs are full size (Naso about 1.5 ft and the hippo could go 1ft).

I'm with the previous two posters, I wouldn't go with more than what you have knowing how big they will eventually get.

thanks guys

The thinking behind the yellow tangs. Besides being cool fish
I wanted to get some bright yellow color in the tank.

When I had my 120 long..... I had a Naso tang, Black tang, Yellow tang and they were doing fine.... Before I added the Black tang I had four tangs total and was still fine...
I had a hard time keeping the Nitrates down....
Good luck with them getting along too!

I hade 5 Tangs in a75. For about 5 Yrs. And they were fine but I also got them small. Now 4 out of the 5 are in a 90 and are happy n fat.

In my opinion it also depends on what type of filtration u have also. You need a filtration system strong enough to keep your water from getting spikes, I personally have about 8 tangs in my 250 gal tank and I have had no issues in aggression. And I also have a commercial skimmer rated for heavy heavy loads. And also u would maybe need a bigger sump to add more water volume... But once again it's just my opinion.

I had a humback whale in my 110, granted it was a kids bath toy, but I had no problem.

But seriously a yellow tank is a different body shape than both the other tangs so aggression shouldn't be too much of an issue once the Naso lays down the law.
As long as there is enough hiding spaces and swimming room you should be OK

What else do you have for fish in the tank? I agree with mr.rodrigo it'll end up depending on your filtration. Tangs eat like pigs, so if your filtration isn't up for the task you will end up with headaches down the road.

so the fish break down is 6 perk clowns 3 black 3 orange; 1 blonde naso, 1 hippo, 1 psuedo, 8 green chromis. i have a 75 gallon sump almost filled to capacity and a tunze skimmer (i forget the model) and a few assorted frags here and there.
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo224/rnyce/IMAG0583.jpg
small pic of tank
I am probably heading to jays today and make my mind up there. Thanks for all the great input.

yeah you are already done with that bioload already in there. you already have 17 fish

I hope your sump is only full to the point where it can handle a power outage or some other mishap that causes the over flow/rest of the plumbing to empty into the sump o_O

JMO, but you seem to be maxed out with larger fish. Especially with established tangs. It's one thing if they're added together, which will not be the case here. Not saying it can't be done, but there's a good chance at being unsuccessful.

Looking at your tank, I'd recommend saving the $ getting a 6' light for better/adequate spread for the frags :).

From looking at your tank, i dont know if adding a yellow tang would be good for the community. Why? Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Spongebob square pants. Hes also yellow and might not be too happy lol. Am i the only one that saw that pineapple?

No ur not the only One... I saw squidwards house too..... He should get a yellow sponge (also good source of natural filtration) and cut it out as spongbob.

Back