How many VHO tubes do I need for 55 gallon

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Hi:

I am thinking about VHO light.How many light tubes do I need for a 55 gallon tank? Thanks

What do you want to keep in there?
I had four 48" tubes across the top of my 55.

as many as you can fit. Depends on what your going for I guess. a softy tank wouldn't need as much... a sps dominated tank and a clam tank would need more.
When I go to a larger tank. I'm going to go with Vho

It is a softies tank, only has one small frags of SPS and 1 small LPS. No plan to add more hard coral. How many watts will two VHO tube (I assume they are 48 inch long) give? I have a twin tube normal output strip light I have no use of it. Can I convert it to VHO. Do I need new end caps or I just need a new ballast?

Thanks

Go to www.championlighting.they sell icecap vho setups and they also have a good amount of info about VHO. I bought a icecap setup for my 125 from them and was very happy with the price and the shipping for the ballast and 6 foot bulbs was like $30.00 I thought that was reasonable for a 6 foot long package that was like 4 months ago

dz6t said:
It is a softies tank, only has one small frags of SPS and 1 small LPS. No plan to add more hard coral. How many watts will two VHO tube (I assume they are 48 inch long) give?
Each 48" VHO is 110 watts. Two of them will provide 220 watts.
I have a twin tube normal output strip light I have no use of it. Can I convert it to VHO. Do I need new end caps or I just need a new ballast?
I threw an Icecap ballast into a normal strip light and converted it to VHO.
That may not be the safest thing in the world - I dunno. But it can be done. Better wait for somebody who knows more about electronics than I do.

my 72 bow is lit was just vho, i'm running 4 tubes on a icecap 660. it allows me to keep just about any light loving critters except acros and clams.i believe you would be able to fit 4 four bulbs over your 55. i would not try and rewire your no strip light, electricty and saltwater are not a good mix. i would use the waterpoof endcaps available from champion lighting or other sources.

4 lights over a 72 ? I bet you could keep more than you think.Sometimes I think people make to much of MH. I'm not knocking MH it works for sure,but I have read good things about VHO

i'm sure i could keep squamy's, derasa and some sps under this lighting, but that's why i have a mh lit 125 sps tank. but my point was with an icecap 440 or 660 you can run 16 total feet of bulbs and why not have the light to keep things like yellow fiji leathers, m caps, digi and other light loving coral i just don't think acros, maximas and croceas will thrive under vho lighting, in most tanks.

I would do 4 T5s in the same space. If you have an IC660 ballast, in combo with the sls reflectors, you can keep anything...I'm alittle bias tho. Use to have vho, now T5s.

I herd people were having problems with the 660 ballast running t5s to much power output for the t5s I would like to get t5s for my fowler but everytime i say something about them someone says stay away I saw wrassefans t5s and they look great what is the longest someone has had them running for?

Why not go MH? (sorry to throw a wrench in here)

I used to have 190 watts of VHO and 175 watts of MH over my 30g, and the VHO was really pathetic next to the MH bulb. I suppose heat could be an issue, but if you put together a pendant with 2 150w DE bulbs, I doubt you'd have a heat problem. That's how I'd start. Rather than get VHO now, and MH later (like me).

Nate

Yeah, I thought my tank was bright with VHO, but moving to MH really added a lot of growth to the SPS. On my next tank (currently setting up) I'm not doing any VHO, and using MH 10K with 20K MH supplementation (3x175w over a 65g).

Nate

Think now, or think later, IMO. You really get a lot more bang for your watt with MH.

And used equipment is for sale constantly on here.

i orderde an orbit 260 watt with moonlights. I havn't put it up yet, but i've seen tanks(55's) with these and look outstanding. I believe it is 4 bulbs.

Back