How to swap out my display tank?

eric90gal

Non-member
My 90 gallon reef tank has alot of scratches on the view side. I am going to swap it out with a new 120 gallon rr.
How do you make this all happen with fish, live rock and coral??? Any advice

The big question is the new tank going in the same spot as the old one? Are you swapping out the rock and water? I would not recommend re-using the sand. It would be easier and safer to add new substrate.
If the new tank is in the same place as the old one then I would recommend (if Possible) to remove as much water and rock as you can and try sliding the tank out of the way..I used those furniture pads and slid my 72 gallon tank..was very easy once I had them under the stand. Setup the new tank whuie keeping the old one up and running.
Add new substrate to the new tank and as much of the old rock as you can from the old tank..and do a water change on the old and use the old water to start with and also add some new water as well. Maybe do a few water changes and use the older water for the new tank to help speed up cycling. Then let it is cycle a bit and check parameters. Then it would be a lot safer to add the rest of the rock and the livestock. I know I probably left some stuff out but this basically how I have done it with success.

When I went from a 55 to a 90 gallon that was going in the same spot.
I picked up a 100 gallon stock tank at a farm store and put everything in there while I did the change out.
You can also use a couple Brute trash cans.
Worked great and gave me plenty of time to arrange things in the new tank.
Just make sure you have lots of water premixed for the change.

Also, some folks change out their sand bed. I reused mine as it wasn't that old.
Just rinsed it well in old tank water.

Wouldnt it be better to keep the same sand bed as far as cycling, I would need to add some because of the larger size tank. But its only 6 months old. Did you put the old water back in?

If the sand bed is old it is not good to disturb it and re-use it without thouroghly washing first. Disturbing will release a lot toxins and they could end up in the new tank.

Wouldnt it be better to keep the same sand bed as far as cycling, I would need to add some because of the larger size tank. But its only 6 months old. Did you put the old water back in?

Some folks change out the sand bed if it's an old tank as it can have lots of detritus hidden in it.This can cause some serious nitrate issues.As yours is only 6 months old I wouldn't change it out.
Yes,I used the same tank water to help fill the new tank.

In the wall!! Jeez that's going to be a project! Get as many tanks and containers with heaters, blowers ect,.. as you can too. You can use them while moving things around,. It will come in handy. I would also pick up a new large trash barrel to make a bunch of water,.. You will need a lot over the next few weeks. A tarp will help when cutting the adjustments in the wall preventing things from getting into the tanks. When moving tanks,.. I take some water from the old and place it into two containers,.. I take the live rock and give them a little shake into the first container to remove detritus and then place then clean rock into the second container. I let the first container sit then at night I go hunting with a flashlight and turkey baster,... and collect as many little creatures as I can and place them into the second container with the liverock. I do the same process when I clean out the sand, which is a little more of a process. I use egg crate zip tied together to make a very large frag rack too,.. It helps having that in a container/tank whiling moving because you can easily put corals and frags aside while working on the aquascaping. A few things that may help too,.. Coral dip,.. Adhesive/putty for liver rock,.. A six pack and friends willing to help.
Good luck!

If you dont have extra tanks

1. Move water/rock/fish into the 120 - set it near the old tank
2. Take 90 out and put on the floor
3. Move everything back into the 90
4. Install the 120 amd move everything back into that
5. Enjoy the view

I would suggest at least a brute trash can to move your lr into so catch fish will be easier

Back