HUMIDITY

highfive52

FISH and CHIPS
Over the last few days tank pipes, light holders, walls, and acrylic sump sweating. Anyone else having issues. Tank is in large dining room, very open to other rooms no walls. 180g 40g sump. In 30 years of reefing I've never ever seen this. Usually have windows open, hate ac. Tank has its own big chiller. Running ac in those rooms now and have humidity monitor in there. It has stopped. Im baffled at what has gone on. I want my windows open again. Chime in folks.

I would think it’s condensation forming, think of it as your tank being a refrigerator, condensation forms when the choked water lowers the energy of the water vapor in the air and collects on the cooler surface. Basically like pulling a cold water bottle and it “sweats”. I thinks recently due to all the rain the air humidity has been really high as well, from a local standpoint Mass has also been in a mild drought for some time if I’m not mistaken.

In my living room where my tank is my average humidity is 57% but since all this rain it’s upto 75% and I’m always running the ac. Has your tank been evaporating more lately?

In my living room where my tank is my average humidity is 57% but since all this rain it’s upto 75% and I’m always running the ac. Has your tank been evaporating more lately?
Evap went to nothing when humidity rose. . Now ac on ato kicking on. and dumping normally. This is so odd.

Reading
on right is tank room. Bought gadget yesterday to figure this out. Thats set up. Even stand underneath was wet and theres nothing under there. Absolutely crazy. Its all dry now but ac is on. Electric bill going to gastronomical.

Attachments

• 20210711_123053_HDR.jpg
    20210711_123053_HDR.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20210711_123059_HDR.jpg
    20210711_123059_HDR.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 151
IMO a Dehumidifier is best bet for scenarios like so. Basements usually run cooler but I noticed a massive amount of humidity especially with this monsoon of rain we’ve been having and also my dehumidifier broken lol.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with the amounts of rain we got my dehumidifier has been working overtime I even had water coming up from under the foundation and I never get any water . Thank goodness it’s unfinished even though it was a small amount . I wonder if a small fan would help with under in cabinet

Yes I agree with the amounts of rain we got my dehumidifier has been working overtime I even had water coming up from under the foundation and I never get any water . Thank goodness it’s unfinished even though it was a small amount . I wonder if a small fan would help with under in cabinet
I have a commercial fan running on MED to just try and aerate as much as possible so it’s not stagnant. But you could feel the difference when it’s not running.

Back