Hydroids?

gobyvin

Non-member
Are these hydroids? They survived a unheated brute cure for 2 years and excessive scrubbing/water changes on some recycled rock I used for my 180. They are stinging this leather tree. They looked like they had tubes and are not encrusting on the rock but also growing out or up through it. Thanks to anyone in advance that helps!

Attachments

• 664D0B9F-0CCC-4443-AF30-6B3B3068FE86.jpeg
    664D0B9F-0CCC-4443-AF30-6B3B3068FE86.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 298
I think they might be some type of clove polyp? The picture isn’t great but the individuals have 8 tentacles that have pinnate branches off each side.

It's hard to say with that picture, but I had a species a while back that looked roughly similar, and was also basically indestructible. They retracted back into leathery tubes when bothered. I tried kalk paste with no luck. Scrubbing was little help. I got rid of some by removing rocks one at a time and literally heating the colonies with a blow torch. Satisfaction was fleeting. They recolonized. I found the most effective strategy to remove them was to drain the tank and put the rock on my patio for two years. After that, a fresh cycle went fine

Are these hydroids? They survived a unheated brute cure for 2 years and excessive scrubbing/water changes on some recycled rock I used for my 180. They are stinging this leather tree. They looked like they had tubes and are not encrusting on the rock but also growing out or up through it. Thanks to anyone in advance that helps!

I followed this exactly as stated. The results were as stated also. This didn't affect any lps, sps, shrooms, Zoas, nems. It will kill any softies like leathers toadstools and the likes. Remove any of these prior to treatment.

1 packet work for my tank 90gal DT 30gal sump.

Killd all hydriods and wiped out an explosion of Blue clove that is had as well. That was a bonus. The cloves were a purchase that the kids picked out and they went ballistic as well. it wiped them out aslo.

Attachments

• IMG_1300 (1).jpg
    IMG_1300 (1).jpg
    163 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Thanks for the ID. Information too. I will likely let them persist, as they are pretty and are not exploding yet. If they become a problem I will remove the rock and take the 3lb sledge and cold chisel to it to cleave off that piece, if it becomes really offensive.

Back