Digitate Hydroids

rharlow

Non-member
Anyone know a good way to get rid of digitate hydroids? I seem to have a nice population going, and from my research, it seems they have the potential to do some damage. Since I can only see them at night, very thin stranded, and they're extremely sensative and tend to retract, I would think it hard to zap them with kalk paste. Has anyone had experience with these guys and success in removing them? Thanks

Chip

Are they those things that look like flowers with a pink centre, clear straight tentacles and a feint white dot on the end? Reminds me of those fiber optic flower things that were popular when lava lamps first came out? I saw this in my tank last night, generally in holes in the rock, measuring about 1/2 - 3/4 inch across - quite beautiful, really. Wondering from your post is these are Hydroids?

Possibly a type of hydroid, but the digitate hydroids I have a a single strand, very thin, with "hairs along it's legnth, whitish in color, with a very small whitish "head" at the end. Normally attached to rocks and corals, and will wave around in current, and also as it searches around. I have one in my tank that extend upwards up 6 inches, but when it retracts, it's almost invisible. That's the best description I can give. Melevs site has a picture and brief description as well.

Chip

FWIW, the one tank where I have seen these never seemed to have much problem with them. I have very limited experience with them though.

Melev states they dont bother much. I have had them and do not believe they bother fish/corals significantly.

M.

Back