I am going to ditch the skimmer

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I tried an experiment to set a skimmer extremely low in a the system with 400+ gallon system. For several month, I did not get any skimmate out of the skimmer, basically it just bubbling in order to saturate the water with oxygen for the fish. Coral are growing faster. May be skimmer is really not that critical for larger system with large amount of live rocks. I also notice the growth of fan worm and sponge is going crazy too. Just a thought

Interesting.
I would imagine this would work best for a softie or LPS system.
Not sure if the extra nutrients would be good,especially for color in a SPS system.

My new frag tank is going to be without skimmer, no reactor, no dosing. Just 2% water change every day. With tons of flow and zapping 250 w halides on 8 inch depth of water.

you'd be surprised how much beneficial items skimmers take out of the water. good luck! i dont run a skimmer on my 6g but that compared to your setup is much different haha.

My skimmer has been out of order for about 3 weeks now and I am noticing my sand is getting algae on it and some red slime her and there...I am in favor of keeping a skimmer running.

But wouldn't it eventually get saturated with nutrients

In dongs case if there are minimal fish, this less waste it might make sense?

QUOTE=uhupong;1213065]Water volumn is key imo.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My new frag tank is going to be without skimmer, no reactor, no dosing. Just 2% water change every day. With tons of flow and zapping 250 w halides on 8 inch depth of water.

very excited to see this. how many fish? or just maintenance fish also what kind of salt.

too many variables to say it can be done globally....
It all depends on the system....we have tons of tanks with skimmers and just as may without...but some of the ones with the skimmer would surely crash without it...My Elos is a prime example...lol I have 29 Fish in a 70 gallon tank, and they are not little Fish...lol I change 40 gallons of water every Thursday (might switch to two water changes a week) and have am Octopus xp2000SSS skimmer rates for over 200 gallons...lol Nitrate stays below 10ppm...but no way possible it would without the skimmer...but the cube system right next to the Elos has never run a skimmer and looks just as good...just a different set up...

so really it has to be done on a situation by situation basis. Plus, they can provide a huge benefit at the beginning (after the first cycle) for like the first year or so, they can really help the tank stabilize by removing some excess waste and nutrients, as well as saturating the water column with oxygen..which can only help with any PH issues and help majorly in having bacteria multiply...then after the system has matured...probably not a bad idea to take it off....again every system is going to be different and looked at that way, before anything drastic is done... :)

Back