I did a bad thing...

randoma

Non-member
So, today I took Callie to get a Pajama Cardinal (she'll post about that tomorrow - she appears to have broken her computer.....) And I made the mistake of bringing my wife, who up to now has been decidedly uninterested in aquatics, with me....

We went to Jay's Aquatics first and she really liked the Maroon Clowns, but more as a, "Maybe I could get one of those someday..."

Jay's didn't have any Pajama Cardinals, so we went down the street to Sea Creature Pet Center. Based on google reviews, I was expecting it to be really horrible. But, the salt water section is actually quite extensive, the tanks appear to be clean and the fish active. The staff (at least the two guys that handle the marine section) seems to be reasonably knowledgeable. So, we're walking down the aisle, looking at all the fish. Callie actually recognizes quite a few fish and coral now and she points them out to mom, who is being polite, but not really interested...

So, about 2/3rds of the way through, mom sees a Valentini Puffer fish and says, "I WANT ONE!! CAN I HAVE ONE? I WANT ONE!!!" And I explain to her that puffer fish are not really reef safe, and they're not really compatible with the other fish we have, and the Pajama Cardinal is already 1 fish more than I think we should have in the QT... But, after having been together for almost 15 years, it only takes about 15 seconds for me to realize that this is a "discussion" I'm not going to win.....

So... 10 minutes later, Callie is very excited with her Pajama Cardinal and mom is very happy with her Valentini Puffer.

At the moment they're ensconed in the QT with the pair of clownfish we have. However, I haven't quite decided what to do with the puffer for the longterm. It is only about 1" long now, but they're supposed to grow to 4-5" long which is larger than any other fish we're planning on. While it is small, could it be considered mostly reef safe? We have two peppermint shrimp which are about 1/2-3/4" long and some very small <1/4" nassarius snails. And I also understand that they can nip at coral if they're hungry.

I told my wife that the best place for it would be the sump, but she didn't find that very amusing..... :D She says we should setup another tank for it and then she can get a maroon clown.

I'm doomed! Doomed!

Haha. I have the same prob lem. I brought the g/f into Skiptons with me today when I was picking up some food and she saw an XL Blue Hippo and wanted it. I tried to explain it was too big for my 75 (it was like 5"). It took 15 mins to get her out of there. lol

think if it this way now you can do a FOWLR tank:D

i would love if my wife told me to get another tank for one fish lol more play space for me :p :D

Heh, I have a 90g for sale that would hold that fish quite nicely.

Willing to trade for plumbing and... ?

You're doomed... hopefully she'll clean the skimmer and pumps? :)

She was actually really helpful tonight! Callie did the water testing for both tanks and Christene acclimated all the new additions and helped me do a water change on the QT. Even carried the 5 gallon buckets of water around. (Previously she's always said, "Those are too heavy! You carry them!)

So I guess it isn't all bad. :)

After reading more about Valentini puffers, it really looks like it will need its own tank. However, it doesn't look like it needs a very big tank. So, maybe the 18 gallon can become the FOWLR when we finally get the 36 setup..

Incidentally, this is ALL Grendel's fault! If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have had to drive up to New Hampshire today at all! And Skipton's was out of Pajama Cardinals so Callie would have just had to wait!

She was actually really helpful tonight! Callie did the water testing for both tanks and Christene acclimated all the new additions and helped me do a water change on the QT. Even carried the 5 gallon buckets of water around. (Previously she's always said, "Those are too heavy! You carry them!)

So I guess it isn't all bad. :)

After reading more about Valentini puffers, it really looks like it will need its own tank. However, it doesn't look like it needs a very big tank. So, maybe the 18 gallon can become the FOWLR when we finally get the 36 setup..

Incidentally, this is ALL Grendel's fault! If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have had to drive up to New Hampshire today at all! And Skipton's was out of Pajama Cardinals so Callie would have just had to wait!
Not my fault :) Bill didn't have big enough bags for the Pocillipora!

LOL be thankfull for things
it had taken me 7yrs to get my husband involved in the tank and it wwas something that was s et up BECAUSE he asked me too LOL
2yrs ago I got him to take care of it while I was away for 2 months the clincher was yesterday,,things fell threw and didnt go as intended,and he decided to try and polish the acrylic tank himself not sure if it helped or hindered yet LOL but we will see at least he is interested and working towards getting this 240 up and running hopefully this week before I loose everything ;) wereas I am ready to throw the towel in he actually has good things to say ;)

Nothing wrong with the wife getting involved. I do more clean up in the tanks now than I do of our actual house :rolleyes:

Does this mean we'll get to meet Christene at the auction? :D

Congratulations on getting her hooked..... It took months for my wife to let me drill holes in the floor. Hopefully she's really hooked ..... lol

Hehe... And you thought sports cars were expensive.

One thought, could you plumb another smaller tank into the current system so they share a sump, skimmer exct? That might be a lot cheaper and easier than having a whole extra system?

Hehe... And you thought sports cars were expensive.

One thought, could you plumb another smaller tank into the current system so they share a sump, skimmer exct? That might be a lot cheaper and easier than having a whole extra system?

That's what I'm thinking... Plus, the total water volume will be larger (better). So, total volume of about 75 gallons.

Puffer fishes sleep by just sinking to the bottom wherever they are and going to sleep. I thought it was dead! :eek:

Back