Ideas for a Fluval Edge 12G Tank - Thanks!

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
Just got a 12G Fluval Edge in awesome shape (Thanks Downreef!:)). I am looking for some ideas for it. What would you keep in it? :confused:

It will be plumbed into my main system, so water quality should not be a problem.

I want something I can't have/keep in my Mixed Reef tank.

I thought of a Sea Horse/Pipe Fish, Mantis Shrimp (not too sure about this), small things like Sexy shrimp, pompom crab (I would never see these guys again in my main tank), Small predator tank? (not sure if there are any predator fish/animal small enough for a 12G though!)...

Please HELP ME with your ideas!!! ;)

One of those angler/frog fish. A nice red, blue or yellow. Also a dwarf lion fish. It could be an ambush predator tank with corals that resemble the fish.

i am buying one for my daughter for christmas, neat little tanks. She wants to do inverts and polyps...i guess if you are plumbing into the main system you can do just about any tyoe of micro world you wish. Good luck with it.

i vote mantis shrimp g.smithii, g.ternatensis, g.platysoma, p.cilata(spearer), n.weneare could all do well in a tank that size and can handle reef lighting so you could keep corals to. one cool thing about keeping a mantis in a tank this small is it's easy to observ the amazing construction that they do, just give them alot of small rubble they can move around and watch them go to work. but sometimes they will steal small coral frags and even live snails or crabs will become part of the walls.

Can you have anything else in the tank with the Mantis Shrimp? Any other fish or inverts? Or will he just eat it all?

i am buying one for my daughter for christmas, neat little tanks. She wants to do inverts and polyps...i guess if you are plumbing into the main system you can do just about any tyoe of micro world you wish. Good luck with it.

Thanks Yanni. They are pretty slick and modern looking...

a mantis will eat allmost anything, hermits and other crabs are quickly eaten but some larger snails are somewhat safe, i have a few large astra snails in with my mantisis that get left alone. i have also read about serpent stars living with mantis
fish are a gamble at best, it seems most mantis prefer slower moving bottom dweling prey so somthing that stays high in the water colum might be safe untill the mantis gets hungry enuf to chase it down. in a 12g tank it might be tough for a fish to stay far enuf away. i would probably stick with a mantis and some corals and macros, the mantis will come out of the rocks more if it has areas wear it can remain semihiden like among macros and corals.

hunt down a Odontodactylus havanensis (false peacock mantis) very active and interactive just like the real deal but is not nearly as aggressive or large. they get up to like 3" and will be fine in a 12g. a G.smithii is another option. active fish bigger than the mantis will be fine. just keep it well fed and don't go throwing a expensive fish in there. maybe a clown or some chromis. i had 2 damsels in my mantis tank to eat all of the food the mantis did not eat.

Back