Instant Ocean Salt vs. Reef Crystals

Vinman75

Non-member
I currently have a 55 gallon FOWLR and have been running it with some clownfish in it using the Instant Ocean Sea Salt mix. I am hoping within the next few months to maybe get some very easy corals (maybe an oxymoron) soft corals for the tank. My question is: if I do so, should I be using the I/O reef crystals to make the water or can I continue to use the sea salt? Is this something that I should be transitioning over to the reef crystals? If so, can it be done a little at a time with water changes? and will the change from the salt mix to the reef crystals effect the health of the fish?

My input is is you are going with soft coral, pal lies, Zoas, GSP, you can stay with standard IO. If going with more demanding corals, use the Reef Crystals. Test your water and dose accordingly.

^This.
As you add, keep an eye on your parameters.
I did the same and used Red Sea.....then went with a Calcium Reactor. One coral turns into many, just keep testing your water.

I am using regular instant ocean currently on my mixed reef. I end up having to supplement magnesium and calcium, a lot. I also add trace minerals and vitamins. I am switching to reef crystals as soon as my case runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most important is to keep it stable. Don't keep chasing a level. Coral will adapt, as long as parameters are stable, within range.

Good advice above, I use Red Sea coral pro and have a calcium reactor to keep things stable

Over the years I have used different salts. But I have ended up just using regular old instant ocean. I don't like the other salts that have what I feel are over inflated levels. Back when my system was running fully stocked (I recently tore down and rebuilt) I would need to supplement regardless of salt mix. So if I'm going to need to run a CA reactor anyway I chose to stick with the baseline salt and supplement.

I should mention that I do 2 gallon daily automatic water changes to help with un monitored traced elements. So take my advice with a grain of salt :rolleyes:

You can have good results with whichever you choose. You simple need to stick to your regiment.

I use a basic salt (TM regular) and then add a regular boost of DIY ca and alk supplements for the same reasons.

I tend to keep my levels a little lower and the regular instant ocean seems to do a fine job doing so. As mentioned by others, if i need to boost any of my levels I dose accordingly. Typically when I need to do this its a minimal boost.

Back