is it worth paying more for the tek elite vs the tek light

jenreef

Non-member
i am debating wether to get the tek elite or the regular tek. i am thinking about getting the elite only because it comes with built in fans. i had the regular tek and i hated that i had to put fans on the side of the tank to cool of the lights off. do i have to put fans on the side of the tank if i get the regular tek light?

i know the regular tek light is slotted for natural ventilation but will that be enought to keep the bulbs cool? i just don't want to loose par on my bulbs and i don't want to loose bulb life

The elite is definately better.

The passive cooling (no fan) on the regular tek only works so well and generally will have the lamps running at a little above the ideal temp which means reduced output and shortended lifespan. Also without a protective lens the reflectors on the regular tek WILL get fouled up with salt spray and eventually ruined. If you add a sheild to a regular tek light, it will seriously reduce the airflow making the lamps run even hotter and then definately affecting output and lifespan.

The elite has the sheild and the active cooling (fans) to ensure that the lights run at an appropriate temp AND the reflectors don't get ruined.

I run a 8x 54w tek 5 w/ no splash shield and I dont have any salt spray on my reflectors. Im using the legs for the light so it sits about 4-5 inches off tank. What is the ideal temp that these fixtures should be running at? i have a small fan that comes on w/ my lights. Seems to be doing fine

I'd have to go look it up, but the "cold spot" should be kept as close to either 95 or 105 degrees for optimal performance and life. (the "cold spot" is the place where the phosphors collect or something along those lines. On T5 bulbs the cold spot is the end where the printing is located. On older florescent technology such as NO and VHO T12 the cold spot was in the center of the lamp)

And yes, I may have over generalized. Not every set up will have much salt spray to worry about, but it is a big problem if there is a good amount of salt spray coming up under an unsheilded fixture. I have seen at least two tek lights that had the reflectors ruined from salt spray after a couple of yrs of use.

As a newbie, I bought a used tek fixture, and I had to replace the reflector, which had been corroded. Then I replaced the shield, and light dropped. It also ran very hot.

splash shields and active cooling a must for t5 imo
it is what sets apart an average fixture from an ideal fixture

As a newbie, I bought a used tek fixture, and I had to replace the reflector, which had been corroded. Then I replaced the shield, and light dropped. It also ran very hot.

I should also note that I was underwhelmed by the tek light output with the one piece bent reflector.

Back