Just when your thinking of leaving the hobby.

nichols

Non-member
I'm sure everybody has felt that this hobby is just not worth the money and aggravation from time to time. After my 10th beer last night I was just about ready to call it quits on this hobby.
This morning I found 3 newly born Bengi babies if my sump and fuges. To me that is awsome. I now have 9 baby Bengi's from 4 months to 1 day old. They are finding ample food in my fuges and growing quite nicely without any intervention from me.
It's the little things that somehow seem to make it all worth while. Even the life in a well developed fuge fascinates me.

Bout a month ago I lost few really nice sps frags possible i placed them wrong in the tank i duno but I wanted to call it quits But we ended setting up another tank:eek: :) I know am going to have my hands full with trying out sps

steve

I'm sure everybody has felt that this hobby is just not worth the money and aggravation from time to time. After my 10th beer last night I was just about ready to call it quits on this hobby.
This morning I found 3 newly born Bengi babies if my sump and fuges. To me that is awsome. I now have 9 baby Bengi's from 4 months to 1 day old. They are finding ample food in my fuges and growing quite nicely without any intervention from me.
It's the little things that somehow seem to make it all worth while. Even the life in a well developed fuge fascinates me.

your right, i need all my stuff back!!!!!

Cory
Give me a couple hours and I'll have a 400 gal + or - system free to the first person to take it away.

I know this feeling very well... although I'd really like the silver lining to come through. Right now, I am very tempted to call it quits.

I've been in NYC the last few days. Wife called me last night to tell me my sump lost 400g's of water. That's right, 400g's!

The heater's in the sump. Tank temps dropped to 64 degrees. Salinity is through the roof.

Urgh. I am not sure what I will lose.

Bill, I may be interested in your set up :)

I was just about ready to call it quits on this hobby.

Let is know when your gonna part it out. :D j/k

I like watching people who are so sad to see someone leave the hobby and then gang up for the deals. Alot of people in this hobby quit many times, guess we're like smokers. :rolleyes:

cheer up to the good times usually outlast the occasional bad.

Bill,
My middle name is bad luck when it comes to reefing. There have been a few times when I've decided to call it quits... but there are a few things that prevent me from going through with it:

1) It's a lot harder to tear down a tank than it is to keep it running IMO, at least in the short term.

2) Where am I going to store all the stuff? I'm not going to sell it only to get bombarded by low ball offers, and the aggrivation of trying to coordinate pickup of all the items, many of which will probably end up as no shows.

3) I love gadgets, and my setup is by no means anything special by club standards however; after chilling out in the fish room downstairs and having a few beers and admiring my basement setup and all the equipment I have running, and the various DIY projects that have been successful, I'm fascinated and proud of myself.

Steve

I know this feeling very well... although I'd really like the silver lining to come through. Right now, I am very tempted to call it quits.

I've been in NYC the last few days. Wife called me last night to tell me my sump lost 400g's of water. That's right, 400g's!

The heater's in the sump. Tank temps dropped to 64 degrees. Salinity is through the roof.

Urgh. I am not sure what I will lose.

Bill, I may be interested in your set up :)

What the heck do you have for water volume? Sorry about your tank problems. I wish you the best of luck. This hobby definitely has it moments.

What the heck do you have for water volume? Sorry about your tank problems. I wish you the best of luck. This hobby definitely has it moments.

645g for a 90g display...

Soon to be a 150g display, if I can figure out where the leakage is. I am just perplexed.

I also have a 180g display in the basement that was supposed to be hooked into this system.

This is the second such malfunction. It's strange, as I can't figure out where it's coming from. :(

This really makes my turtle and gold fish tank very attractive. It's 135g and painless to run.

How's the salinity through the roof? It should be the same (or lower if you have an auto top-off). That sucks really bad though...

How's the salinity through the roof? It should be the same (or lower if you have an auto top-off). That sucks really bad though...

I wasn't here when the emergency water was mixed. It was also done at 64 degrees, as the temp comes up, the salinity's doing the same...:(

Steve
I'm telling you man. Ornamental gold fish or maybe a large freshwater Betta tank?

The only two fish in my display right now are the pair of Bangaii's which have (thankfully) become a mated pair. Jen and I were joking last night about not adding any more fish to the tank (so the fry don't get eaten) and letting the display turn into a swarm of Bangaii's :D After a bit of though, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea :rolleyes:

Steve

Nice avatar, Ray!

Bill - you gotta stay in the hobby. I feel your pain, but stay with it, sir. :)

Back