Kessil A360 / Biocube Canopy Conversion

wpeterson

BRS Member
I've downgraded to a humble biocube 32 in our living room over the years as work/kids have kept me from our earlier, more involved mixed reefs. After a few years, the cheapo LEDs built into the biocube hood died.

I built a custom mount and installed a Kessil A360W from one of our larger, earlier tanks and it came out better than I expected. I removed the LED board and electronics, but kept the plastic sealed lid that attached to the tank canopy. I cut a hole slightly larger than the traced diameter of the Kessil. I purchased a 3D printed "shade" for the Kessil which was just the right height to sit flush against the transparent LED seal and the canopy. After securing it in place, I installed the Kessil and sealed it. It came out better than I expected.

The placement is closer to the water than I would like (better with an open top and the Kessil tank mount holding the light about 10" off the water), but it lets me avoid having an ATO and so much heat loss/evaporation from running open top in the winter. Overall it came out better than I expected.

Attachments

• Biocube-Kessil-Canopy.jpg
    Biocube-Kessil-Canopy.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Nice! I’m considering something similar with my Fluval Evo13 and a soon-to-be-replaced RedSea ReefLED 50. I’m curious how much it heats up the tank with the light running that close?

It doesn’t generate much heat. The A360 only sits maybe 5mm deep with the vents/cooling outside the canopy.

The one challenge is a compromise between ideal height and how close the lid is to the water. This light usually sits 10-12” above the water to get a full dispersion across the tank. This close to the water (3-4”) it only gets to full dispersion 4-6” into the water from the top down.

Back