Koralia nano flow mod.

jarrodsanborn

Non-member
Disclaimer: I got my inspiration from other threads on the interwebz, just passing it on.

For my 10g mixed tank i am constantly looking for more flow, but the only pumps that "look" right are the koralia nano's. Unfortunately they notoriously have dismal flow and do not match their advertised flow amount. I have hated my pair for a looooonnnng time.

I started tonight looking online for flow mods for koralia pumps. Most involve propeller swapping etc, and i did not want to bother, but i saw someone mention taking the front shroud off(crazy!). I removed it to clean it and the flow instantly doubled in amount and dispersion!!!!! Of course this means the propeller would constantly pop out and when in would make sushi of any dumb fish to go near......

The shroud is really restricting the flow, so I have removed every other peg on the front 8 and flow improved some... and then every other 3 on the side of the shroud...BAM thats the ticket.

On the inside of the shroud on the front 8 pegs there is 1 peg with an anti-back flow stopper peg. Just make sure not to remove that one. The pump should have a plus up down... config not an x config. Not all models have this feature, just figured i would point it out.
Now the pump is keeping up with my koralia 1 in my other tank at least by putting my hand in front and comparing force. Flow is a bit wider(small bit) and the flow is huge. If you need a good amount of flow in the smallest package, then this is it ladies and gentlemen.

I do not believe the claims of many of the mod threads, but this one is for real. Just a tip for everyone who has a small tank.

thanks for this, im going to give it a try, i have koralia nano in my 10gal fuge, and out put is dismal.

No prob. Love to help
Take the cover off the front first to try it out(new flow pattern) If you like the improved flow then start the modding!

sent with my fat thumbs typing on a stupid damn smartphone

http://nationalcoralregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?606-koralia-nano-mod

I would caution anyone doing this to avoid using timers on a modded version.I use timers on my koralia's and notice the snails and smaller hermits seem to head towards them when they shut down.I'm sure a stomatella snail would be no big issue but a hermit crab shell would cause major issues.This is however a great way to get more flow out off theses small units.We did this to are nano months ago

Cool matt, Thanks for posting the link. I posted it on nh but not here since I didnt think we could post links to other sites. Thats why i added the disclaimer.

One thing thats diferent is they are only removing the front posts. It worked but i got a bigger improvement from removing some of the side posts too. More room for flow to get out needs more flow to get in too.
Im sure some extra snails might try to get in but i have snails that try to get in my koralia 3! Nothing wakes you up in the middle of the night like hearing a snail shell grinding against a prop. Seems not to bother them though. Mine want the tasty algae so bad they are willing to risk it. The worst killers i have are the modded maxi jets. Those things would grind up a whale if it got too close lol.

I didnt know you could use the nano versions with a wave maker. Do you have any issues with them starting backwards? What controler/timer do you have?
3 of these would be amazing on a wave maker in a nano tank.

The ones that have come out in the last year show a timer on the box so i figured it was okay.Have had no issues We just a brink man from wally world timer 5 minutes on 5 off or 15 minutes on 15 off

Back