lanthanum experiment

I'm still using it. The only problem I have is that it doesn't seem to lower the phosphate below 0.3ppm. I inject 8-10 cc lanthanum mixed with 50ml of water into a 10 micron filter sock over 4 hours.

>The only problem I have is that it doesn't seem to lower the phosphate below 0.3ppm<

Paul, you mean 0.03 ppm right? IIRC, that's to be expected. I'm not sure it's healthy for a tank to be much below that anyhow.

Yes that's what I meant, 0.03. I still have plenty of micro algae growth on the acrylic surfaces with a level that low.

Paul,

I like your idea of injecting to the skimmer intake then filtering the outflow, but I have been scratching my head as to how do I actually inject this little amount in a 2-4 hour period everyday and have it be automated.

My skimmer is fed through a T from one of the external return pumps connected to the sump and I can’t figure how would I do it? How do you do it?

Anyone else? Any ideas?

I have a syringe pump. I originally bought it to feed non-photosynthetic corals on a continuous basis. That experiment was a failure unfortunately. The corals did well but my tank did not. The nutrient overload was too much. You could probably use a peristaltic pump to automate fully. I think Greg Hiller has access to those kinds of pumps.
I went to CRA today and I noticed a nice change in the elos tank that Jeremy is testing zeo on. The colors on the sps are definately popping, and the tank as a whole looks better. I am thinking more and more of giving it a try.

Thanks Paul for the info. I don’t know if this will work for me since the skimmer is fed through a T of one of the external return pumps.

I could tap into the feed line with a quick connect and a small tube line connected to a syringe or peristaltic pump but I would imagine the water pressure will force the liquid the opposite way, wouldn’t it?

Yes, it sounds like it would. You could just skip the skimmer and drip directly into the filter sock. That is what most people do. I have tried it both ways and could not see any measurable difference. It's the sock that captures the most of the precipitate.

haha!dealt with the battles of phosphates for years.to be honest with u paul i think the food is ur main concern in pollution and phosphate build up.no more oceans nutrition for me.i switched to omega sea just cause the simple fact that i noticed a huge difference when i switched the type of foods i put in my tank(s).my 1st tank(65gal)always had a combo of phos and high nitrates.#1 cause of casualties i think.since then i've always been on top of testing phos b4 anything else...i use the bluelife phosphate control and i can't say anything bad about it.all though i did notice that it can be deadly to montipora when u use the dose that it's recommended by the manufacturer.i haven't had any episodes in the increase of more than .05ppm.believe me,u know i know!if there's 1 thing i hate is rtn on my corals tissue....

Back