Learn from my mistake

smcnally

Tankless
I'm sure some of you heard that I lost a lot of rock and corals due to them sitting in a tub too long...Well, I lost the rest of them tonight. Everything seemed to be doing fine and then I looked in about 45 minutes ago and corals that were there earlier today were melted down to skeleton and then the whole tub fogged up and began to stink. I had to bring it out side and get it rinsed out asap. While doing so I ended up draining and rinsing the rest of the rock and corals that died on me. I honestly almost barfed about 10 times because the stench was so bad. Moral of the story...don't rush a tank move. I was so exhausted last week that I didn't want to wait any longer to get things moved into the new tank. As a result, I killed well over 100 pounds of rock and a TON of nice coral colonies. This picture doesn't even look close to how it looks in person. This is a BIG tub and the rock goes 3/4 to the top on one side.
dsc04692.jpg

Agreed . I bought some colonies from Jill and Brian, put in a tub in a sump till I had time to make the move(24 hours) and I lost half sdue to being cautious...at least you can salvage the rock.

UGH!!! That sucks Steve -- really sorry to hear it.

I was lucky. I had been rushing to get everything set up for my big move so that I would have a week before I leave for a two week trip...and then I realized how stupid it would be to try move everything from my stable temporary environment into a new and untested system a week before leaving for two weeks.

Moving is definitely not something to be taken lightly or done without serious consideration... I'm just lucky I came to my senses before I started the actual move -- now I'm just going to do it when I get back.

Steve, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's the worst feeling when you loose corals that you grow from small frags into colonies & lost them over night.

sorry to hear that steve, Ive got to move early next month and Im scared as hell put way to much time and effort to my tank and I dont want to lose my corals!

What exactly lead to the demise of the corals?

I've been fortunate with my tank moves I guess... I've moved my system twice in the past 2 years and haven't lost anything.

Thanks Mauro and Sue. I don't need any frags I still have a decent amount in my tank. These were frags and colonies that I was trying to sell.

csb, I think the problem was that the O2 levels dropped too much in the tubs. The corals were in there for 6 days with oceanflos and heat but I don't think I got enough gas exchange. Plus my air pump died on me...

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back