Light Recommendations

Platehead

Non-member
I am looking for recommendations for light selection for my son's 120 RR.

We plan on moving SPS and assorted spas. Also my acans and various LPS.
Choices are 48" 8 pack T5 or one of the new Aquatic Life multi color LED's. the LED is about 2X more than the T5 but adding bulb changes, ROI is about 3 years. Past history with T5 has shown great growth. I am a bit skeptical about LED's.
Thx

I personally would stick with what you know, t5 and MH have proven to be great, I'm setting up a 75g and using MH as I know hands down it will grow coral no doubt, I don't think LEDs are QUITE there yet, yes some people have had success but im not convinced, some people swear by them but I'll use what I know for a few more years to led LEDs figure everything out,
Just my 2 cents

Heard good things about the new ATI T5/LED powermodule. If you have all T5, can't go wrong with the T5 powermodule if you can find one.

if you already have the t5, then use that. Easy choice. Get some ati bulbs and grow stuff like mad.
If not, then there are plenty of other options. Is there any reason to pick that led light vs others on the market? I like the usb programming, and the remote......but there are lots of other options that have more power, more colors, bigger better etc. all for the same or less cost.

btw, have you seen what kelvin the whites are? it would be nice to compare.
they are using cree xte and xtg so atleast its using quality emitters.
Still i think there are other options that would be either "more" for the same price, or cost less.

Last edited:
Back