Lighting upgrade, need advice on acclimating

medic1175

Non-member
Hello everyone, I have decided to upgrade my lights on my 46bow. I have been using the Current Sundial 4x 39w T5, I have upgraded to the Current Sunpod 2x 150w MH with the LED's. Im looking for advice on acclimating my corals to the new lights. My current light cycle is Actinics on a 10am, Daylights on at 11am and Daylights off at 7pm, Actinics off at 8pm. What does everyone seuggest for acclimating the MH. Thanks in advance.

I'd leave the actinic light cycle alone.
Just run the halides from 4 pm- 8 pm for a weekend.Then Monday start adding an hour back to the halides every 2 days till it's back to normal.Watch for leathers to show signs of distress,if you have any.
I just went through this back before the summer.I went from 260 watt PC to 2- 250 watt halide pendents.I didn't have any losses or burning occur.
If you see something that looks like it's having trouble acclimating to the light.You can shade that area some with egg crate.
I don't think you have any problems.

Their isn't any actinics with the new fixture, it is just 2x 150 mh, and the lunar leds. So the reccomendation would be run the MH for 4 hours for a few days and then start adding an hour each day after that. Ok thanks

Their isn't any actinics with the new fixture, it is just 2x 150 mh, and the lunar leds. So the reccomendation would be run the MH for 4 hours for a few days and then start adding an hour each day after that. Ok thanks

That's basically what I did.
I have no actinic supplementation as well.So I just ran the lights for 4 hrs for a weekend so I could watch what was happening.Then slowly added more time to the halides.Do you have any corals,leathers,zoas.mushrooms that are close to the top?

I wouldn't add an hour each day, that is really fast. Every other day was mentioned and I would be even more conservative. I would go really slow as I have burned corals in the past going to fast and that was just swapping bulbs to one that put out more light not increasing wattage.

A few other options if you have them are to run the normal lighting period but start with the fixture much higher and lower it over time. Third option would be to use layers of window screen and take a layer off every few days.

Thanks Mike i misread the post every other day sounds better and I'd add less than an hour. Adjusting the height isnt really feasible, the window screen idea is possible because im trying to figure out right now how to cover the top of a bow but still allow air movement. I dont wanna find my fish on the floor. I was trying to think of a way to use window sreen with a hinge of some sort or id use egg crate. I think the window screen would look better, but would it block too much light?

There is some sort of nylon mesh that peiople use to build screen covers for their tank. I have seen it on quite a few. Not sure where people get it though. This would be your best bet for a long term cover as it doesn't block much light and is nylon so no issues with exposure to salt water. Might want to start a new thread for that if interested. Window screen doews block a bit of light and is the reason it is good for acclimating to new lights.

I have had several fish jump through the egg crate and land on top and cook. I now use it vertically and build a cage but my tank is in wall. I also use it to cover holes in canopies but the mesh would be much better.

Yeah the mesh would be good, I know the make window screen material that is nylon mesh instead of the wire stuff. Ill have to look for it.

Yes, I was general with the time frame.Every other day or more
Every 2-3 days add an hour.You could leave it at say 6-7 hrs time frame once that's reached for a week.Then up another hour the next week.

Back