Lost a Yellow Tang for no reason?

Are you talking the stuff that looks like shaved nylon that goes in CPR Bak Pak skimmers?
I believe they call it"bio-bale"?

I am using the all glass sump with bio balls removed. If you look close the top tray has the basic blue filter pad in it. I purchased more filter pad from my LFS and have always had this filter pad in the top tray filtering the water. Then, I have the SWC 160 cone protein skimmer in the next chamber of the sump and then the return pump in the final as shown in the link below. Is this the correct set up to have? I might buy two more very small powerheads to point down at my sand to get better flow going through the front portion of my tank. See my rock structure above.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?107231-New-to-the-forum-and-hobby./page2

The tank is a 90 gallon with overflow running to a 30 gallon sump with SWC 160 cone protein skimmer. I am running 2 - 1400 Koralias for flow. I am going to vacuum and do a 20% water change tonight and I guess just run the tank for a month as suggested even though my levels haven't moved at all still. Still dont understand why the tang and everything was fine for over two weeks then just croaks overnight? Also, still have no idea why or how my salt creeped up but I will be working the salinity down slowly again. Refractometer is on its way in the mail as we speak.

On the 28th of February you stated the tank was up for two days. Yesterday 14 days later you state your yellow tang died for no reason. Regardless of the fact the LR was from and established tank it is a new tank and the Yellow tang should have never been added at 16 days.

You can make all the arguments you want it was too early to add the fish.

Last edited:
If I added them to early, I added them to early but three different LFS's told me that they have set up tons of saltwater tanks with established rock and the tank did not cycle. All three of them proceeded to tell me I was ready to add fish after I told them the exact situation I was in and everything I was using. So who knows who to beleive but I lost a tang because of their stupidity apparently. Next time, I will ask what to do on here instead. Thanks for everyones help and for the record Delta, I was never arguging with anyone. Pretty tough to judge emotion through a forum. I was simply trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Check out some of the LFS sponsors you will be happy if you do. Having knowledgeable LFS is a really important resource.

Just for the record, when I upgraded my tank to a 90gallon, i used about 40lbs of live rock from another reefers tank along with rock from my 50 gallon that was running, and i never had a cycle either. I still agree that it was too early for a tang, but it is possible to not get any "cycle". I waited over a month checking my levels daily never getting a cycle before i moved my fish over.

Completely agree. Thanks for all your help Lisa. I readjusted my powerheads to my original positions of the front top corners facing down and it already eliminated my fish poop problem. I will probably have to add one more small powerhead because of way my tank is set up with the overflow off center but I think I got it pretty well set up now. I grabbed a couple Elos test kits so I am going to run some tests now to see what my actual levels look like with some good test kits not the API ones. I'll record my results. So should I give my tank another three to four weeks and see what happens? I've been keeping a parameters log so I'll start testing every 3 days again and see what happens. Should I stay away from the water change? I really would like to start doing small water changes to work in my new salt but I'll hold off if you guys think its the best idea. Thanks.

With the daylight and acitnics on...

With just the daylights on...

What do you think about my first aquascaping job haha? Wanted more caves but it worked out perfect. There is a large cave in the left side that connects to the center cave and another small cave on the right mound through the back.

Sean

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with what others are saying that its too soon to add fish. I cant count on both hands how many times LFS gave me bad advice, or I heard them giving someone else bad advice.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with what others are saying that its too soon to add fish. I cant count on both hands how many times LFS gave me bad advice, or I heard them giving someone else bad advice.

You go to the wrong fish stores then

To be quite frank it is NOT the LFS responsibility to educate you about this hobby.
It is your responsibility.\Sure,they can give you some advice.But ultimately it's up to you.

Stingy, trust me, I completely agree. I've done alot of homework and learned alot about saltwater in the small amount of time I've been doing it. Everyone makes mistakes my friend. I have already found another good LFS to talk to and learned a couple that I will never go back to. You live and learn.

Just ask me I have made every mistake there is to make I still do now. There is so much to learn that is why I spend alot of time on reef forums. See how your clowns do over the next few weeks, You can doa water change if you want to some people do 20-25% others do more like myself because I feed heavy and my nitrates run high. As far as being as LFS responsibilty I think they should be knowledgeable in what they sell. I know when I visit mine I am always asking advice. Unfortunately their are many out there who should not be in this business.I have the few that I trust and listen to their advice.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to start doing 20% every two weeks because I would really like to start mixing in my other salt. How is the H2Ocean pro salt? An LFS that I trust was telling me that even though its more expensive, he said he would never think about starting a reef tank without it. He said in 80-90% of his reef tanks that he used that salt, he does not have to dose at all so I think its completely worth it but what are you guys' experience with it? I would obviously like to keep my dosing to a minimum if possible. I've read alot of good reviews with that salt. Clowns seem like they are loving life. They are extremely active, happy, eating and not breathing heavy by any means. Levels are perfect still on the API test kits but tonight I will test them all with my new Elos kits to see where they really are. Thanks.

Sean

Stingy, trust me, I completely agree. I've done alot of homework and learned alot about saltwater in the small amount of time I've been doing it. Everyone makes mistakes my friend. I have already found another good LFS to talk to and learned a couple that I will never go back to. You live and learn.

Oh,trust me,hurdbird.
I've made my share of mistakes,so no finger pointing here.
I think you'll be fine.Just have to let the tank age some and let the bio-filter stabalize.

These silly post's my fish died and i don't know why really annoy me.+1 to all who all who offered nice advice on the age of your tank. Not sure if anyone mentioned this to you but the LFS is in the fish selling business and most of them could care less about how many fish you kill.They just want you to keep coming back.I have seen so many LFS'S sell some newbie a handful of fish that die then they start selling you chemicals you don't need either.They pray on the lack of knowledge in that new customer.The only way to have a healthy fish tank is to first learn how to care for the water then make sure you research all livestock purchases thoroughly.After that with some patience's it's easy.Trust me I've been doing this for 25 years there are no fast ways no sure things no cheap shortcuts besides DIY and trading frags with friends.Take your time ask more questions than you thought you ever would and really listen to the advice of people that are willing to say please don't do that because we have already made those mistakes.If i had a nickle for every mistake i have made in this hobby well lets just say i would have a truckload of nickles.Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.But there are people who remain ignorant because they don't want to ask should my ------ really be looking like this is that okay.The best part of this hobby is the people willing to help you out and answer questions with out any kind of judgment.so please take your time do your research and talk fish .And just an afterthought my LFS owner and staff greet me with a smile and hello and have time to talk and answer questions whether I'm buying 200.00 dollars in supplies or just stopping by on my way through town.A good shop will be just as happy to answer a question as they will be selling you a 175.00 dollar coral or a 5.00 dollar chromis

I appreciate everyones help. Still wondering on the H2Ocean pro salt for reefs? I already purchased it after reading alot of good reviews but do you guys have experience with it? I am going to start doing water changes with it soon. I love this hobby already because it always keeps me thinking and presents a good challenge to a newby like me haha. Thanks.

Sean

You go to the wrong fish stores then

Well I only have 4 LFS around me of which more than one has given bad advice. Not saying I follow it, and I agree with what someone else said that its your responsibility. I would bet every single LFS that exists has given some bad advice to one customer or another at some point, whether intentional or not. Its not like an owner can possibly know every single things about this hobby so sometimes its mistakes, other times it is not having a knowledgeable staff.

Last edited:
Back