Manjano and Aptasia eater for loan

ScottM

Non-member
anyonye have a need for a racoon butterfly?

picked one up to clear out my aptasia and manjanos.

once they are gone he goes on to eat other things.....

Thought i offer it up before it goes back to the LFS.

Scott-
Im interested. How big? How is he treating your corals? I have ALOT of mojanos they are starting to really take over some stuff.
Jeff

big.
4" maybe.
he cleaned me out in a week.
if you pull him out after they are all gone you shouldn't have any issues
may start eating mushrooms then onto SPS polyps

Scott... I could use him for a week or two. I would love to get rid of my mojanos, but he might be a little cramped in my 58. He could from Jeffs to mine :) then onto the next.

There is a little problem with removing the fish after the tank looks clear. The fish pulls the Manjano apart and small pieces of anenome are spread through out the tank. When the fish is removed they grow back to full sized Manjano. I'm going to pick up another Raccoon soon. I might try a Seagrass Filefish if I can find one.

I dont have any sps to speak of but am more concerned about leathers, zoos, lps. when and where do i get him and how much you asking?

dave/jeff,

pass him around. if everyone uses him and no one needs him, i'll take him back, or if someone has a good home a frag would be good :D.
i paid ~45.00 wholesale because it's a hawaiian (only means the permits to collect are more)
dave,
would love to come out a see the tank but need to find time.

anyone have a fish trap?

yeah I do have one, but I think it would be too small. But your welcome to it.

Scott I think we need to trade a gold sacrophyton for a green :). I hear you about time, mine is very limited now a days. Once Skiing is over it will get better.

Darren do you know this from hands on experience? Just curious

Dave, my tank was completely clean of all visible manjano, and aptaisia. The Racoon had started eating feather dusters and was nipping on longer polyped sps like millipora's. I moved it to my other tank. It cleaned the second tank also but it died when I moved. Here's a pick of my sps tank today.

Attachments

• 2003_0303stuff0050 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0303stuff0050 (Custom).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 319
I read in Coral that the Seagrass Filefish is much less destructive than the Butterfly fish are. Here's another pic of the tank today.

Attachments

• 2003_0303stuff0031 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0303stuff0031 (Custom).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 317
Darren-Thats pretty discouraging. Id still like to try the raccoon, if he is not too distructive to zoos,lps,softies, I would keep him. I dont keep any sps in my tank.

Scott-I dont have a fish trap, I hear Karl is the ultimate fish-trapper.

Jeff

If anyone can come pick him up before thursday(and if I can catch him), I have a copperbanded butterfly I am trying to sell. I had tried to pair him with my other CBB and it didn't work out. He ate an aptasia that was on a coral I got, so I assume he will eat others. He has been a good citezen in a mixed tank with a clam, softies, sps, lps. Only bad thing he does that I've noticed is pick food or poop out of the mouth of one of my lps which doesn't seem to bother the lps too much.

Asking what I paid for him $40
I think this is fair seing as copperbands are notoriously bad acclimators and a good half of them do not make it, but mine has been tanked for months and is eating frozen mysis and has taken well to aquarium life.

Cindy-
I was told by several stores and reefers that they wont touch monjanos, wish they would...
Jeff

Man, that manjano's photo is scary. That's one plague I've been glad to never have encountered!!

Plague is right, I have tried everything: Calcium, Salt, Kalk, Boiling water, Joes Juice, I have gone so far as to boil rocks that have too many to kill, but then you end up with a peice of base rock, which sucks. I would like to know more about the filefish, I will have to research that one, Darren if you find one and it works please let us know.

Dave

From what I've been able to find so far, they will eat Manjano and Aptaisia. In the same issue of Coral, in Tips and Tricks it says that they do NOT bother corals or other reef inhabitants other than the pest anenomes and they were observed eating Xenia. Two pages later in an article about ridding Aptaisia they are said to "attack" soft and stony coral polyps and MUST be removed once they begin feeding on polyps.

Anyway you look at it, a fish that will later need to be removed from the tank will only appear to solve the problem. While they eat the anenomes, they leave scrap, particles of the anenomes that turn into new anenomes.

Scavdog has had a Racoon in his tank for a while from what I understand. I don't know what size tank he has , but if a tank is large enough and has many corals and tube worms for the Racoon to nip at when the anenome supply is low, then the damage should be spred out enough to be acceptable in return for a pest free tank.

Then again, at the rate the Manjano are multiplying in my tank, I can "harvest" Racoon Butterfly food and bring it to the meets at a very reasonable price :)

Back