Marineland 45 reef ready cube a real bummer

Bobbofin

Non-member
:mad:Having massive problems with the tank, overflow noisy and build quality. Sealed hole in silicone on overflow. Overflow won't skim from top (only bottom) with 500gph pump so you get no surface skimming. Overflow extremely noisy. Marineland's only idea was to install a larger 700gph pump on a 45 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump. They ignored my other compliants about the tank. They're useless idiots. I knew I should have stuck to All-Glass andOceanic like I have for 20 years! Right side panel is pushed in at bottom front with a 3/32" gap in the trim and the bottom glass panel of the tank is exposed. B at Skipton and I are working with Marineland to exchange this for a non-reef ready model then installing a glass-holes.com overflow in it. B is really good with customer satisfaction.
I won't be setting up this tank, I don't trust it. If Marineland won't take it back I'd rather make a video of the noisy overflow and the poor build quality then smash the tank with baseball ball on video. Then post said video on about two dozen websites on the internet. Peter (gonorth16) had similar problems with his 60 cube rr as well as have others at other reef clubs. If any of you folks wish to harass Marineland and put pressure on them here's their email addy: [email protected]
After much enthusiasm when building the stand this has turned into a real bummer. Here's a pic of the pushed in panel, gap and exposed bottom glass.
:mad:

Attachments

• gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,229
Last edited:
Wow.. this makes me sad.. that is an awesome size tank, and I really wanted one, maybe I'll just stick with my plan of going back to the Oceanic 30..

Can you re-plumb the overflow with a vented durso or does it already have one? My overflows on my 140 were super loud and were 'flushing' when I was running too little flow..

I'm waiting to see if I can return it. Ya, I could block off the return bulkhead and install a custom overflow with a durso in the back like I have on my Oceanic 30. But I shouldn't have to on a new tank, totally unacceptable!
I'm hoping to get the non-overflow model and put a glass-holes dot com overflow in it.
I understand about flushing with too little flow but you can't put 700gph through a 45 gallon tank with a 1" drain and 15 gallon sump. It's a recipe for a flood.

Last edited:
Unreal! They had a 70 as well IIRC glad I didn't go down and buy it!

Best of luck to you...

Back