Marineland LED Reef capable lighting system ?

MeanFishBoston

Non-member
I have a Cardiff 24 gallon aquarium system and I need to get lights for the top of it. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Marineland LED Reef capable 18-24" System ? Will it be enough lighting for corals ?

This it what the ad says:

Correct spectral output and intensity for Reef Aquariums

Three mode switch for all on, all off, or lunar (night) light

1W 10,000k Whites / 460 nm blue LED's

for about the same money you could probably build one with better LEDs from rapidled.com.. get one of there kits and build it into a canopy.

I'm doing this same project this coming weekend...

for about the same money you could probably build one with better LEDs from rapidled.com.. get one of there kits and build it into a canopy.

I'm doing this same project this coming weekend...

Thanks but I have no skills or time for that stuff.

i got one in a trade a while back and it is pretty pointless for any corals.... im just using it as a sump light

At first they seem almost too good to be true. I'd save up for something better or invest in something that has more reputation.

Thanks Guys , To be honest, im not sure what I want to grow. Im new to salt and the tank didnt come with a light so I just want to get on light and make sure its good enough that I wont need to upgrade down the road...I like zoas , mushrooms , frog spawn , stuff like that....im not really a fan of the hard corals.

imo, and absolutely nothing more, everything marineland makes, aside from its tanks, are complete garbage... AGAIN JMO

Personally,I think the Marineland MaxiJet Pumps are well worth the $$$.
And the Pro series they just came out with looks promising as well.
Not sure about the LED set up.

I had a 24" fixture over my 26, and switched back to a T5 fixture which I augmented with LED moonlights.

I ended up getting this light today : DB Solarxtreme T5 HO Quad Lamp System 24

24" SolarXtreme T5HO Quad Lamp System Features: XTREME CONTROL - Integrated digital timer allows users to program individual channels for full cycled use. Large led control display is easy to read, program & activate lamp channels. XTREME DESIGN - Crafted from pure aluminum for xtreme thermal conductivity & heat dissipation. An ultra efficient blower draws cool air through system expelling heat via special cooling vents on each end. Added cooling keeps system operating temps minimal & prevents heat transfer down into aquaria. Sleek & low profile design with special black electro-coat finish to protect surface against contaminates ensuring easy cleanup. XTREME FLEXIBILITY - *ADJUSTABLE MOUNTING LEGS (included) - Offers secure installation over an aquarium while retaining use & access of glass canopies. *ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION KIT (included) - Ceiling & canopy installation through the use of suspending tabs. Completely adjustable tabs also fold down when not in use concealing them from view. XTREME PROTECTION - Internal protection circuitry monitors electrical system status disabling unit in the event of a fault. Features include self-check on startup, lamp fault detection, thermal load & open circuit protection. XTREME POWER - At the heart of the system is an industrial grade electronic ballast offering high efficiency & cool running operation. High quality capacitors & VRMs maintain optimal & stable power across each lamp channel ensuring safe reliable operation. XTREME ILLUMINATION - Strategically positioned moonlight leds specially tuned & integrated directly into reflector simulating natural night illumination for full day/night cycle. The reflector adopts a high polished light amplifying parabolic design increasing lumen output, depth penetration, & coverage. XTREME ACCESS - Compression fit glass lens assembly protects internal compartment against moisture & debris while preventing operating heat from traveling down into aquaria. Hinged glass lens allows easy access for quick lamp changes. Features tempered glass for strength & safety. Package Contains: SolarXtreme Light System, (2) 10KK Daylight Lamps, (2) Actinic-03 Lamps, Mounting Legs, Suspension Kit, GFCI Grounded Cord & User Guide. System Specs: 4x24W System, 120V / 60Hz, (4) Moonlight LEDS 24.01L x 10.20W x 2.75H

these lights are capable of sustaining coral. notice i did not mention grow or make happy...... i have some palys that are living in almost no light. they are still Alive so the 10w incandescent bulb must be reef capable.

I think marineland is abusing the word reef capable here and many new people are going to have to upgrade very quick after purchase.

for the $160 the led rig costs you could get a great used light for it, or you could build your own. They really are not that hard, and many experienced people here could help you out.

Back