Marineland led

banshee1

Non-member
Is anyone using the new marineland reef led lights? Seems like a real inexpensive led comparitivly (spelling).are these crap or would it be worth saving a few hundred bucks?

I had 2 of the 18-24" Reef capable LED strips over my 34 gallon Solana for a short time. Maybe 4-5 weeks? I forget the exact time frame. The LEDs were quite bright and may have been okay with softies.

I found the Marineland LED strips to be somewhat inconvenient and I ended up returning them and buying an AI SOL Blue instead.

The Marineland LED fixture has a 3 way switch that allows you to either:
Turn on White + Blue
Turn on Blue
Turn all off

Which in turn means that you can't use a timer and have night lights.

The other inconvenience was having to remove one or both of the LED fixtures in order to work on the tank.
Which went something like:
1) Make sure hands are dry
2) Lift off first LED fixture
3) Place LED fixture against the wall or on the floor
4) Lift off the second LED fixture
5) Place LED fixture against the wall or on the floor
6) Take the glass top off of the tank
7) Work on tank
8) Make sure not to drip water on the LED fixtures on the floor/against wall
9) Put the glass top back on the tank
10) Dry hands
11) Put first LED fixture back on the tank
12) Put second LED fixture back on the tank
13) Move both of the power cords back to the side/back of the tank
14) Wipe any drops of water off of the LED fixture

Also FYI. The Marineland LED fixtures are not water proof. The LEDs have round plastic caps for lenses that are clipped into place. It was because of this that I left my glass top on my tank. The Marineland Reef Capable LEDs are also very white even with the blue LEDs turned on. They are probably close to a 10k look.

Jay's Aquatics has 1 or 2 of the Reef Capable LEDs over their Solana. Their Solana has a bunch of anemones and a pair of clownfish in it. The lights must be strong enough for the anemones to survive. He has had them in there for over 3-4 months now.

I got one to test as a sump light a couple of weeks ago; I've thrown in a few sps frags in there to see how they do. IF the test succeeded, I would consider switching my display tank to it. It's a great looking light, and fairly bright to the naked eye, but I don't have a par meter, so it's hard to tell. We'll see - I'll report back in a few months!

Back