Maxi jet suction cup problem

Fitzy

Non-member
So im having a problem having the suction cups stick to the side of my tank. Does anyone know of some way to attach them to the side of the tank without the scution cups?

Most people glue them to a Mag float magnet scraper. They can then be positioned where ever you want and should never fall off.

i would do that... but im worried about the magnet causing a problem with the pump

I use the Suregrip magnets and they work awesome. The advantage over the Magfloats is that they're black and blend in better. The down side is that they're pricey.

If you're cheap, and know where you want the powerhead, you can also just put a dab of silicone on the suction cups, and stick it to the glass underwater. The silicone will cure a bit and keep the maxijet from falling.

Anything held simply by suction cups in salt water will fall off because the plastic hardens. Best to use a little silicone on anything else with a suction cup, like heaters and heater probes.

I've had this same issue happen to all of the Maxi-jets, whether they be 900 or 1200. I went to NE Tropical Pet and asked them what to do.
Jim has some great 'replacement' suction cups for only $4.99 that seem to have a much stronger suction than the one's that come with the power heads. They look just the same as the one's that come with the power heads but they work much better. He doesn't have them on the main floor, but if you ask, he'll go in the back room and get them for you.

I just go in and ask him for the suction cups that really suck. :D

I have noticed a big difference in quality of suction. The power heads stay where I put them, even if there's a little algae on the glass. They come in a package of 4 and they do a much better 'suction' than the one's that come with the power heads.

I got the cheapo petco mag floats..

DSCN1492.JPG

If you shop around you'll find Sure Grips on sale I bought mine at Marine Depot they work great.

You can also make acrylic brackets for them. I've done this demo at a few meetings, and will likely do it again at the meeting this Saturday in Saugus.

Back