Mike's 125g Reef Build - Biggest Tank Yet

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hey guys!
I finally purchased my first home in Grafton Mass and now have the room to upgrade my recently downsized tank. I had a 75g running for a few years and moved to an apartment and had do downsize to a 20g all in one.
20g AIO at Apartment.png

I ended up buying a drilled 125 from Craigslist for a pretty killer deal. Just your standard 6 foot 125g and the back will be painted black.
125 Tank.jpg

As you see, the stand isn't the type to put a sump underneath. The previous owner had a small closet behind the tank that housed the sump and all equipment. I have a guy in NH building me a new stand that should be done any day now. (painted black)
125g Stand Build.jpg

Equipment for the new build:
Lights will be 3 Radion G5 XR15 Pro's for now (may add more in the future if needed)
Power heads will be (2) MP40's on the ends with (2) MP10's on the back wall
2 Finex heaters, not sure of the wattage
Trigger systems Ruby 36 for the sump
Eshopps Eclipse L overflow box for now
AquaMaxx skimmer. Not sure if it is the ConeS Q-1 or Q-3 at the moment
Kessil H80 fuge light with the flexible mount
Vectra M2 return pump
Tunze Osmolator 3155 for auto top off
2 Kamoer X1 Pro's dosing pumps and also have Skimz CM122 calcium reactor with everything needed for use in the future
Apex Controller with no additional modules (yet)
Marco Foundation rock with about 80 pounds of dry Marco rock (may need to grab a little more) to attempt a Negative Space Aqauscape
120lb's of dry special grade sand
Plumbing
(I think) will be red PVC and I have ordered and am waiting on various valves and unions.
100GPD Max Water 6 stage RODI system with booster pump and Flood Guardian
(2) 160g boxes of Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt mix
Hanna Alk, Cal, Mag, Nitrate and Copper test kits
(I think that's everything and don't believe I have left any equipment out)

I currently have the contents of the 20g which includes various Soft, LPS and SPS corals, 2 nems, 1 Ocellaris Clown Fish, 1 Flame Angel and 1 Pajama Cardinal.

I have a 40 gallon breeder set up as a quarantine tank with a Purple Tang, Yellow Tang and Melanurus Wrasse who have all recently beat ich with a copper treatment and are all eating well.
40 QT.jpg

I also have a 20g long QT tank with a small Blue Hippo Tang and 1 small Ocellaris Clown Fish as I recently lost a clown (I think he was eaten by the nem). The Hippo is skittish and doesn't come out much but, they are both eating and are in a light copper treatment as a preventative.
20 QT.jpg

I am hoping to have the new tank wet by the end of the year. Once the stand is completed and I bring it home, I should be off to the races!

Unfortunately, I don't have the room in my living space for this big tank so, I am forced to put it in the basement. Not ideal but, I'll make it work!

My plan for the tank is to have a mixed reef with an emphasis on SPS corals. Give it a few months and I will be buying frags from you guys so, stock up for me please! :cool:

Feel free to reach out if you guys have any questions or suggestions. I have been in the hobby for almost 6 years but, it's a never-ending learning process with reef tanks!

Thanks!

-Mike

Attachments

• 40 QT.jpg
    40 QT.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Hey question how help you build stand
Thanks man. I ended up finally getting a stand but, it’s not finished and I have to alter it. My sumps won’t fit inside as it’s too skinny front to back so, I have to take off one of the guide beams. Also, the wood he has ready for the doors warped so, I have to make those as well if I want them! You can see it in the back left of this photo, behind that old crap stand.
4FA95833-8831-44B6-AD04-53EE63D12B98.jpeg

This tank is still not up and running but, we're coming down to the end! I've made a few changes with the equipment such as lightning and overflow for the better!
The only thing I need to do is find some time to plumb the return to the first check valve (about 4 feet) as well as the plumb the manifold. Then, I get to water test everything (rodi is already made and ready to go). Assuming the tank and plumbing are leak free, I will then start mixing some salt water, get the rocks out of the trough, add some sand it put it all together!!

I am also coming to the end of my stocking selection even though I would like to add a few more smaller fish.
Here is a quick video of what I've got already.

Let’s gooo!!!! Just set up the calcium reactor this morning!
I’ve been delaying my calcium reactor, controller and dosing pumps while I’ve been traveling on my new tank. I’ll be doing the same by next weekend. Very exciting!

Back