Mimic Tang

tucc185

Non-member
I picked up a mimic tang today from work, a really cool little guy about 3". It's not the lemonpeel angel mimic which I've seen before. It was called a chocolate tang, and I think it's one of the less common forms of Acanthurus pyroferus that mimics Centropyge vrolikii. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• Acanthurus_pyroferus_KBR.jpg
    Acanthurus_pyroferus_KBR.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 283
Anyone kept one before? He seems in good health, eating a little bit of macroalgae. I took forever to acclimate him and he seems to be really liking his new home. The yellow tang hasn't even noticed him at all. Any tips?

Day 2, no sign of yellow tang aggression! I'm pretty happy about that, but I do have a HOB fuge cleared out especially for him just in case. They do avoid each other, but I haven't seen any major fighting yet.

Heres a little better picture. I did some research and found out I have one of several color variations of juvenile Acanthurus pyroferus, or chocolate tang. The fish I have is one of the less common (or at least less imported) variations that mimics the dwarf angel Centropyge vrolikii as a juvenile. It is apparently a hardy and pretty passive tang (from what I've read) and can take several years to reach their full adult size (which is moderate to small for a surgeonfish).

Attachments

• acanthurus pyrofc.jpg
    acanthurus pyrofc.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 232
And here's a pic of the dwarf angel that they mimic (which I've never heard of):

Attachments

• Centropyge_vrolikiAQ.jpg
    Centropyge_vrolikiAQ.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 217
He's about 3" long now. From what little info I've been able to gather, it can take up to 3 or 4 years for it to fully transition into adult coloration. Still no problems with the yellow tang :D

Back