minimum fish only setup...

stang8s

Cyber P
I have a 30 (29?) gallon tank with stand thats just sitting around. I was thinking of setting it up as fish only with 1 or 2 cool fish that i cant keep in my reef.. Perhaps a small snowflake eel? or a box/cow fish? I dunno..

I was wondering what the minimum setup would be for something like this. Would just have NO lights and no sump.. Would I run a canister filter on it or a hangon back biowheel type filter? would i need a skimmer?

Jeff

My fish only has live rock, a skimmer and a little sump with nothing in it but a return pump just to keep the surface clean and that is all, oh powerheads for flow.

I am setting up a 20 gal for my new snowflake in my office at work. I am using LR/Sand, two small powerheads for current, and an aquaclear 150 to keep the water sparkling. I will tell you if it works in a month or so. Just like fresh water, most salt water fish don't need a ton to be healthy and happy. I am even learning that the soft corals don't need much. In fact, I am going to be bringing in some mushrooms to my office and get this...only sunlight is going to keep them alive. I will post if they don't survive.
:)

A 30 will be too small for cowfish or boxfish. Cowfish grow to at leat 12" and boxfish close to that. Good luck.

ahh didnt know they got that big.. Well maybe a frogfish or something? I dunno.. I might just try and get a pair of mated FW angels..

I have a 30 cube set up for FO, have a 3" sb, 15# LR, a empire biowheel filter with the biowheels taken out (use it to run carbon) no skimmer (although I keep meaning to get one) No sump, 2 powerheads. I have 4 fish and have had it running for 6 mths. So far so good, all fish doing great and looking healthy.

live rock is a must in my opion a 60g bak-pac you can always find them cheep and would work great on a 30g how about a mated pair of gold striped maroon clowns very friendly i always see them at ti when i am window shoping and a light maybe a cheep 110 aga power strip so they could have a low light anemone to live in and if they have babys you could sell them

Back