Modifying AGA Top Brace

mgreefer

Non-member
I just got an AGA 210 RR tank. I never liked their top brace, I don?t like the two front to back plastic supports that are in the middle ,they are part of the top brace. They obstruct light going down from above.

I am thinking of cutting the two front to back plastic supports and replacing them with a couple of 8? wide front to back ?? glass pieces and silicon them to the front and back of the tank glass.

Has anyone done this before, any advise, any issues that you might think of.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

If I am not mistaken, the preferred method is to use acrylic instead of glass.
People have cut the two center braces leaving "nubs" and then attached acrylic braces using a variety of methods including nylon screws.

FWIW: I have a 75G with the brace replaced with glass. The downside to doing this has been with keeping the glass clean and transparent. Salt is constantly building up and it is next to impossible to keep clean. I wonder if more light is being lost than that narrow strip created by the original brace.

Most likely the tank will never need the brace, as it's only a precaution against failure. But using glass as a brace, it doesn't allow for any flex and you could (but unlikely) break the brace. That's why plexi used, it has the same issue of collecting salt, but just give it a wipe to clean it.

I rotozipped the brace off and then added 2 pcs of 1/4" lexan about 2"wide 6 apart from center then drilled and tapped (#8-32 s.s.screw)into the lip of the brace.IMO silicone won't be strong enough to hold squat it will be of little to no use.another disadvantage to glass is breakage.Cleaning isn't really an issue you just have to wipe/clean it once in a while.If I can keep my hands out of the tank I probably would have to clean only about once a month

I may have seen the braces on the tank IMO leave it alone unless you want the front and back of your tank to bow and blow out. It's engineered for a purpose and made that way for thinner glass tank to save on the expense of the tank and weight. Flirtin with disaster, get ready for a flood.

Quote from http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html
LARGE SIZE
ALL GLASS AQUARIUMS

All-Glass newly redesigned large aquariums are now bigger and better than ever for starting and maintaining a huge aquatic environment. One-piece injection molded frames with reinforcing braces represent the latest technology in large aquarium design and provide unparalleled aquarium strength and results in virtually no bow in the glass when filled with water. Heavy duty annealed glass construction is used so any panel can be drilled for use with nearly any filter set-up. The new design also accommodates All-Glass hinged glass tops or full hoods, so you can have a complete aquarium set-up from one quality source.

Last edited:
heres a couple pics of my DIY top brace i used 1/4" lexon w/ 1" 3/8 nylon bolts and also glued in place with weld on #16 have had no problems pics with flash then without

Attachments

• diy top brace 2.jpg
    diy top brace 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 251
  • diy top brace.jpg
    diy top brace.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 248
that looks good but I would have used stainless steel shoulder bolts nylon bolts could dry out and break due to salt and the heat of the light over time IMO.

that looks good but I would have used stainless steel shoulder bolts nylon bolts could dry out and break due to salt and the heat of the light over time IMO.

i agree and im prepared to replace them every three months or so thats why i didn't glue them in plus i didn't want to take the chance with stainless i just don't like metal in the tank well at least that close to being in

i agree and im prepared to replace them every three months or so thats why i didn't glue them in plus i didn't want to take the chance with stainless i just don't like metal in the tank well at least that close to being in

stainless won't rust so if you dropped it in the tank it would not matter.also you should use stainless nylon nuts.

Back