Mounting Photosynthetic Gorgonians

Depends upon the species. Those with a clear delineation between the living tissue and the central bony axis or gorgonian are best done as follows. The tissue is first scraped away from the section that is going to be under the epoxy. The gorgonin section is then inserted into a hole in a rock and then putty epoxy is used to secure it in place. The live tissue should not be imbedded into the epoxy. The live tissue will quickly grow down onto the epoxy.

I have a form of thick branching gorgonian that does not have a clear delineation I mentioned above. For this one I just cut a chunk of it and wire it to a piece of rock with some fishing line. Must not be too tight. The tissue will grow down, encrust, then grow up to form new branches.

The non-photosynthetic ones can be propagated the same way, but they are REALLY hard to keep because they have to be fine fine particulate food, very often.

Question to Greg: would superglue work as a viable substitute for putty epoxy in the case of a gorgonian? I also have heard that you should not expose them to air when attaching the piece to the mount. What do you use to scrape the tissue off the base? I hijacked Chuck's thread because I'm fragging a Eunicea gorgonian tonight and I have never tried to do so before.

>would superglue work as a viable substitute for putty epoxy in the case of a gorgonian?<

Might be okay, but it'd be awefully messy seems to me.

> I also have heard that you should not expose them to air when attaching the piece to the mount.<

I must have been doing it wrong all these years. :p

> What do you use to scrape the tissue off the base?<

Razor blade, knife will work too.

Thanks Greg, good to know--although of course I didn't wait for a reply and already fragged one piece last night :rolleyes: . But I did scrape the tissue off the base down to the hard skeleton, and I did use superglue (worked better than I anticipated), and by this morning it was already polyped out and looking great.

Back