moving advise please

theone

not so well known member
BRS Member
I'm going to be moving in a month or two and need advice on the best way to move my tank and livestock. As far as the fish are concerned they will go in buckets and so will the coral ( LPS & Softies ) as will the rock.

I guess my question is what do I do about the water and the sand bed? The sand is about 4" deep. Can I leave it in with minimal water to save it? If I can do this I sure the sand may get stirred up a bit and will that release toxins. The bed is a year old.

The trip will be an hour.

I imagine I can use most of the water to keep things alive and do a pretty good water change when I set it all up.

Thanks all
Vinny

I don't think you have much to gain by keeping the sand bed. I'd get new southdown, rinse it thoroughly before you move, and just save some sand from the top inch of your current bed to put on top of the new southdown in the new location.

Nate

How large is your tank? I would be concerned with a 4" sand bed with any tank larger then a 40. I was nervous transporting a 29gal with a 2" sand bed...

don't even bother to try, just scoop it out. plus imagine how heavy that would be.if you want to save the sand put it into bucketts, no sence in taking a chance and possibly busting your tank.

what size tank?

Its a 50g tank. I guess I'll just put in new southdown in it and seed it with the old stuff.

I knew I saved 3 bags for something.

As for the old sand guess I'll save and rinse it for future use.

I went from a 50 to a 100 to a 180 and kept transferring the sand because I didn't know any better. I am now going to break down the 180 to change the sand. Too much to go into right now. It would have been so much easier if I had just used new sand to begin with. Just take a couple of cup fulls from the top of the old sand bed to seed to new stuff.......

Back