Mushrooms fell off rocks...

davidrupe

Non-member
I had a few purple mushrooms fall of some rocks when I moved them. They are still alive and 3 are kinda living at the base of another rock. I try to pull them out and they shrivel up and go under the rock. Anyways, if I want my mushrooms to grow on other rocks and I only have one rock with a bunch of them, how do I do that? Do they spread on their own? Can I cut them off and glue them to another rock? How do they reproduce? I would like to put some on the other side of my tank...

Anyways, if I want my mushrooms to grow on other rocks and I only have one rock with a bunch of them, how do I do that? Do they spread on their own?
Yes, slowly.
Can I cut them off and glue them to another rock?
Yeah, you can cut them. Best way to secure the frags is with an elastic or with fishing line.
How do they reproduce?
Either by binary division (they just grow big enough to divide on their own), or by having peices torn off, and moved elsewhere.

One slow way to do it is to put a small chunk o' rock next to your shrooms. The shrooms will grow onto the rock.
Then tear the rock away and put it where you want.

Eventually (like in a year), you'll probably have too many.
I would like to put some on the other side of my tank...

I bought a rock about a year ago with only 5 shrooms, now I have a couple dozen. I use the rock method, then move the rock to where I want it
Keep in mind, if they don't like where they are, they will detach again & float away

How should I cut them? Split it right down the middle and then tie it on with some fishing line? Is there a 'right' way to cut them?

davidrupe said:
How should I cut them? Split it right down the middle and then tie it on with some fishing line? Is there a 'right' way to cut them?
Many people recommend you cut the shroom like a pizza.
That way, each of the "slices" have a bit of the oral disk (at the center of the "pizza").
I didn't bother getting so fancy.
I just hacked at them with a razor blade, made ugly, raggedy chunks, and tied them to rocks.

Secure the cut pieces with bridal veil and a rubber band. The veil is available at fabric stores.
Glue will not work because of all the mucus mushrooms produce.
Or you can let the cut pieces sit in a cup of rubble at the bottom of your tank. They will attach to the pieces of rubble and then you can glue the rubble to the rock of your choice.
See www.garf.org for lots of propagation tips and demonstrations.

Back